Look What Visited Us Tonight.....Updated Post #13

Oh, that owl is beautiful, maybe it was hanging out for the mice under the coop just a thought
hu.gif

The owl came back a few times to the window and finally set on a wire just outside.
We figured out the he was after our cockateels that are right inside that window.
We placed a cover over the back so he couldn't see them which is when he set on the wire to try to see inside.
16662_night_owl_052.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Gotcha. Some crazy lady who came to buy geese from me, told me she shot an owl, and TOLD the game and fish dept. They came and picked it up and didnt charge her! I knew better than to shot the darn one that was picking off my chickens. I strung up kite string. LOL

Well...advice is only as good as it's source. I wouldn't believe a word a crazy lady said. lol

I have barn owls & a barn owl nest on my property. Helps keep the rat population down, have never lost a chicken to one. Your owl is probably cleaning up all the rodents & little critters around your place. They are beneficial as long as you have good chicken housing.

Exactly. Even though they *could* take a chicken, they hunt mice and rats, snakes, opposums, sometimes skunks and young raccoons...I'd rather have them around than not!! Plus, they're *typically* doing their hunting when chickens are *typically* locked into a coop!

That owl pic is cool. I have a HUGE Golden eagle that has taken a bird or two over the last 2 years. I was not sure what preadator it was, until I saw him. He is huge...hangs out in a dead tree behind our barn and picks off the free rangers. Over the last 2 years he has gotten only 3. When I see him I throw rocks at him to scare him away. Don't get up set - I can't throw far enough to hit him and wouldn't kill him even if I could. It is only nature at work. Any rate when he sees me, I toss out a swear word or two...a few rocks...and off he flys. The free rangers are my extra roosters. They have gotten real good at watching...I've seen them in action. Eagle flys in and the alarm goes off...all birds rush for the brush or the barn. I've left strategic brush along fence lines and aroud the barn. They all start the alarm call...even the ones in the coop. It's quite loud. I run out...toss a few rocks and off he flys. He only got 1 this year. I think we are winning.

I'm trying to trap a opossom. He's been hanging out in my barn and won't go in the live trap. Maybe tonite.

Margot

Back
Top Bottom