Look what we just found!

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
This guy was in our grow-out pen, which luckily was empty for the moment as the youngsters were out in the yard for a while.

I ran screaming to the house for hubby, who was shaving. He came running downstairs with his face have shaved, half shaving cream, grabbed his pistol, and saved the day. He now has a rattle for a souvenier, and I'm quietly having a case of the shakes!

This morning at 10:30 a coyote grabbed one of my roos and ran with it. The neighbor was taking his daily walk and startled the yote, who dropped Danny (my roo) and ran into the woods across the street. Danny rolled over, got up, and strolled back to the house, complaining the whole way, but other than a limp seems to be fine. That darn coyote came back at 1:00 and I saw him pacing the fence where the chickens free-range. Stupid me, went after him with a shovel. Luckily I didn't catch him (or he catch me).

I'm ready to move to the city!!!!!

We don't have rattlers up in Maine, but we have plenty of coyotes (big ones too). Coyotes have moved into the cities too, I suggest you learn to live with them
smile.png

Not going to learn to live with this coyote. I will get him. Tomorrow I plan to sit on our balcony with shotgun laying across my knees, very quietly waiting. There is only one way in, and that is down our driveway. I will be waiting. My chickens deserve a safe haven. I don't care if he was here first (he wasn't, by the way). I'm a live and let live kind of person, until my chickens are hurt or killed, then it's my turn. He has to die.

In the six years we have lived here, we only had one other coyote, and he moved off after a couple of days. This one can do the same or he's mine. It's his choice. If more come, they will have the same choice.

Every critter I take out is one less that I have to be concerned about. To learn to live with them is senseless to me when it is in my power to manage their population. If I wanted to let nature take its course, I'd turn my chickens out and let them fend for themselves continuously. That wouldn't last long, for sure. I enjoy hunting anyway, so I get in a little predator hunting from time to time. It's funny that people mention living with the predators, but they never consider that someone/thing needs to control the predator population as well. And no one ever mentions just learning to live with mice/rats, do they? I guess they're low enough on the list that they don't count....

But I do believe I can stay ahead of the predator population, regardless of popular belief. One box of .22 magnum shells is only $12, and will take out 25 predators, even with only a 50% hit ratio. That's quite a few coyote/fox/coon/possum/skunk out of the gene pool.

I live only about 30 minutes from the Cherokee Indian Reservation here in NC and it was on the news tonight that the Cherokee are paying $25 per coyote that's killed and they will keep the pelt. Here in NC we've had so many problems with coyotes in recent years that we are now allowed to shoot them after dark.

Back
Top Bottom