Look what's lurking around my yard...

I'm not sure why you're gettin' all riled up. Especially as it sound like you do make just the kinds of efforts I mentioned. I'm not about to start wars here either.

If the shoe fits - wear it. If not , well then - on to the next topic ...
hmm.png

Wow, I just read this whole thread and it is very interesting how many people think the opossum should live. I am a huge animal lover and also have never had to kill an animal before. I live in a rural area and I feel the same way as 6of6chicks. I have two livestock guardian Great Pyrenees and if a predator was attacking them and they could not take care of it on their own I would most definatly step in and help. I have never had this issue because predators just stay away probably because they don't want to deal with the Great Pyrenees. This predator is attacking her dog obviously it will attack anything to get what it wants.

I'm not sure why you're gettin' all riled up. Especially as it sound like you do make just the kinds of efforts I mentioned. I'm not about to start wars here either.

If the shoe fits - wear it. If not , well then - on to the next topic ...
hmm.png

Probably because you are shouting at us with a large font and partly because you recommend transporting trapped animals which is illegal for animal health reasons in many states.

Got it?

Not contradicting, but I find it odd that the possum would attack the dog for no reason. Possums usually only start biting when they're cornered or have babies to protect. Most of their hissing, open mouth gaping is a bluff, they want you to just leave them alone. They really (generally) just want to get away and go on with their business. Playing dead is an involuntary muscle response.

When I did wildlife rehab, my young possums would sometimes hiss and growl and open their mouths when I would reach into the cage. Once I touched them though? Snuggly buttheads who wanted their numnums.

Just for clarification (and I'm not judging either way this turns out) possums are very beneficial. They carry few diseases (although spell danger for horses) and eat a variety of pests, such as slugs, snails, mice, young rats, small snakes, etc. They're really fascinating animals, and they have their worth in nature. Their teeth are very sharp though. Generally (although obv not the case with OP) they are much shyer animals than raccoons, and aren't as liable to pick a fight.

I understand that you want to eliminate this possum, I do. I just ask that you please do it humanely and painlessly (as doing it any other way is cruel, and unnecessary, no matter how you spin it. No animal deserves to die buried alive for doing as it has for thousands of years.)

I really do understand protecting what's yours, and having responsibility for your animals. I get it, sometimes there is just no alternative to putting the animal down. But I'd like people to keep an open mind, and not completely villify the wildlife around them.

My apologies OP, some of what I said was directed to others on this thread. That's my fault, sorry for any miscommunication.

And yes, the exhaust is your best option. I've known people who have done it and they say it's a quiet way to go.

I'm sorry if this comes across as prying, but does the possum look like it has a very rounded snout (as opposed to one that is very long and sharp looking). I'm just scratching my head at how gutsy this guy/gal is. I'm wondering if maybe he was a 'pet', and a possums that have been in captivity for a length of time will often develop rounded snouts.

Dogs can be goofs sometimes, huh? Mine thought dig-a-mole was a really fun game :S

It seems so weird that he/she would hang around without an obvious food source (I mean, it's not getting the chickens, so what IS it eating? Something's gotta be keeping it's attention, I don't think it would waste that much time near the coop if it couldn't get in.)

Just trying to troubleshoot a bit, sorry :)

My DH was called to a neighbor's house one time because a skunk had gotten into the window well of their basement. He did the hose attached to the tailpipe method to kill it. That was the only thing they could think of to get rid of it without causing it to spray. It worked. The preferred method here is a bullet to the head, but if you're not comfortable, confident or experienced enough with a firearm, I'm glad you're looking for an alternative method.

And thank you to everyone who gave suggestions for how to humanely deal with the possum. It gave me a lot to think about and was very helpful.

For the wildlife lover arguing against killing the possum - please send me your address and I will be more than happy to trap the possum for you and drop that sucker off in YOUR yard, free of charge.

Even better!

Back
Top Bottom