Look who I found watching my hens today...

Yes, hawks will kill chickens. Number one chicken killer among the hawks, at least for my area, is the Coopers. We do have lots of kestrels and sharp shins but the kestrels are no problem...they are small birds and don't even seem interested in chicks. The sharp shins have taken a dive on chicks but we haven't actually lost any to them. This place is paradise for birds of prey, so we also see broad winged hawks, red-tailed hawks, falcons, ospreys (strictly fish eaters), owls of every shape and size, and bald eagles. In summer heat, when the birds want to abandon their safe roost poles for the cooler trees, the owls can be a serious threat. Once they find the chickens, they keep coming back, killing birds that are far bigger than they can carry away. And they will pick holes in netting stretched over a pen, and still find their way back out, with the chicken in tow. Sneaky devils.

The falcons routinely take adult ducks out on the water, so I do wonder if they would mess with domestic ducks, especially the smaller call ducks, but they never messed with my cayugas, and I don't think they have gone after the chickens. The red-tails are certainly big enough to threaten chickens, but I can't recall one ever actually going after my flock. They spend their time hunting roads, power line right-of-ways, and skimming along the edge of the woods, watching both crop field and forest.

Of them all, the flat out worst threat to my poultry is the bald eagle. IMO, there is not a species of domestic fowl they won't try. A pair of them wiped out an entire flock of Bourbon Red Turkeys, fully adult hens weighing over 10 pounds each, over the course of a month. The only saving grace is that they don't seem to want to hit birds that are close to humans. All of the turkeys were taken from the corn field or the orchard. Once the turkeys were all gone, the eagles continued to patrol open areas and the edges of the yard around the chicken flock, but the chickens were onto them, and would sound the alarm when the eagle was still way off in the distance.

Predators are opportunistic and are going to explore novel food (or potential food) items in their area.. Just because a hawk or owl hasn't taken a chicken in the past is a poor guarentee that he will not do so the next time a fat, slow, white chicken is sitting in a sunbeam begging to be dinner.

my first scare with a fred tailed hawk was the first day I let the chicks explore the inside of their just built coop. I insisted on using small gauged hardwire cloth, and grateful. the brazen hawk actually had its talons hooked into the wire. poor chickirs were cowering very quietly in the farthest corner. now that they are full grown, the hawks try to fly over, bit the crows, dogs and even the hummingbirds pursue. I worry more of the blasted, evil tempered gray foxes. raccoons, skunks, and at the moment a bob cat that took off with the neoghbors cat. we also have an beautiful bald eagle couple, but they have beter pickings in the hills.

We had to start over due to predator issues. Hawks especially Cooper's can and will take down a full grown heavy breed hen and fly off with her. Don't know about the smaller ones but the ones I have experience with were BIG. Owls got a few too at night and Owls CAN and WILL climb to find a hole to slip through....crazy to hear a ruckus at night and spotlight only to see an Owl doing acrobatics on your wire to try and get in !!! We are starting over now and have to fully enclose a run. I can let the birds free range during the day but only if I am out and about in the yard ...... Guess the hawks don't like the old fat lady in the pasture with the chickens lol lol good deterrant!!!!!

The text in bold can not be correct. Red-tailed hawks are unable to fly with my 4.5 lb game hens which is smaller than typical individuals of full grown heavy breeds. Coopers are even less capable. Check species ID. Are you where goshawks occur?

The text in bold can not be correct. Red-tailed hawks are unable to fly with my 4.5 lb game hens which is smaller than typical individuals of full grown heavy breeds. Coopers are even less capable. Check species ID. Are you where goshawks occur?

X 2 Coopers are barely able to fly off with my Birmingham rollers when they kill them. Generally they strike and allow the momentum of the strike to carry them as far as they can. Then they settle in and eat the bird on spot. Unless that is I manage to run them down and retrieve the pigeon.

I have no reason to lie and I am telling you just as soon as you think they can't you will be sadly mistaken. Watched it with my owns eyes powerless to reach them and save my hens. I am not a bird watcher per say but after researching I would say I am about 85% certain it was cooper's hawk. We have MUCHO red tails here but the come, swoop, look, then leave if there are not small easy targets ie; chicks for them.
I don't wanna argue but I promise you they can and will carry off a full grown hen....We had another thread on here about this same topic and I am NOT the only one having experienced this with Cooper's. They were awful..... :(.

I have no reason to lie and I am telling you just as soon as you think they can't you will be sadly mistaken. Watched it with my owns eyes powerless to reach them and save my hens. I am not a bird watcher per say but after researching I would say I am about 85% certain it was cooper's hawk. We have MUCHO red tails here but the come, swoop, look, then leave if there are not small easy targets ie; chicks for them.
I don't wanna argue but I promise you they can and will carry off a full grown hen....We had another thread on here about this same topic and I am NOT the only one having experienced this with Cooper's. They were awful..... :(.

You are way south but a goshawk could almost lug a 5 lb hen. Goshawk does look a lot like a Coopers. You are still way south for goshawks. Otherwise if Coopers, a female can carry a live juvenile chicken that is just over a pound while a male can pack something about 2/3's as large. If chicken has been largely consumed, then Coopers could carry remains minus bulk of muscle mass. I have seen loggerhead shrikes do similar with robins where latter when alive is slightly larger than shrike.

No one is calling you a liar - just stating that it was not a Coopers that you saw. An adult male tops out at about 14.5 oz and an adult female about 1.5 #. Logically, realistically there is no way they could fly off with something up to 5 times their weight. As centrarchid has posted, you may have seen a Goshawk.

No one is calling you a liar - just stating that it was not a Coopers that you saw. An adult male tops out at about 14.5 oz and an adult female about 1.5 #. Logically, realistically there is no way they could fly off with something up to 5 times their weight. As centrarchid has posted, you may have seen a Goshawk.

Agree with them, the coopers here don't even reach a pound but they are persistent critters i seen one try to get my banty roo, but my peacocks put a stop to that, the red tails here kill the coopers, i have seen it 3 happen times last year.

Back
Top Bottom