Looking after a single human imprinted gosling, not sure I can keep - what would be best for him?

LadyGwendolyn

Hatching
Jun 10, 2019
I read that geese raised with humans aren't "normal" geese, he won't be happy unless he's around people. And that other geese will not accept him unless they've been raised with him. He is a domestic goose.

I love this gosling dearly and I just want to do whatever is best for him, whether that is staying with me or going to a new loving home. I would be forever grateful for any advice.

Here is a super quick sum up so you guys don't have to read a novel: 8 week old human imprinted single gosling (has never met geese), adopter changed mind after telling me to keep until fully feathered. Not sure if he can go to a normal goose setup now without being very distressed, but also not sure if he would be happy at my house once grown up - primarily indoors, until we move next year, and no other geese, but could maybe adopt/rescue another gosling if we're sure they would be happy

Longer details:
I have an 8 week old human imprinted single gosling. Unsure of gender but we refer to "him" as a he. Kind of a long story but, when rescuing his mom, who was horribly injured, I found an egg that I wasn't sure if was developed, and I couldn't bare the thought of leaving it to die so I quickly ran to TSC and bought an incubator.

I didn't plan on keeping him as I didn't think it was possible with my current living situation. So I found a home for him before he hatched, and she sounded perfect - experienced with geese and caring. She said I should hold onto him until he's fully feathered so that it's less traumatic for him to lose his "parents" (my husband and I) so of course I did. I don't mind but it has been very difficult as, like all goslings I'm sure, he cannot be alone or he will (and has) hurt himself trying to get to me. Taking care of him is a round the clock job. We do everything together.

All was seemingly going as planned with the adopter, but then I didn't hear from her for 2 weeks. I finally did, and she has changed her mind about adopting him.

Now I'm not sure what to do for him. I knew almost nothing about geese and how unique they are with imprinting in the beginning. Maybe I can find another home for him still, but as he's been entirely around people and not geese/birds, would a normal goose setup even work for him at this point? I think throwing him in with "normal" geese would be extremely distressing and confusing, is that correct?

He is pretty pampered but has been taught manners. He is never alone because he becomes too distressed. His days consist of trips to the park, lots of salads filled with varying healthy foods, baths followed by preening in his sunny window bed, all kinds of fun toys and of course lots of love.

While he is the happiest little creature at the moment, I don't know if he would be happy here as an adult...

We plan on moving to a house with our own land asap, but that will not be until next year unfortunately. We own a mobile home that is in a park/on rented land. Not sure if landlord would be okay with goose on yard so he would be mostly inside until we move. We do already take him to parks most days which he loves, but it’s not like being outside all day.

If he could be happy here until we move, I wonder about his need for me to be beside him at all times. I don't work at the moment so it has worked out but it would be good to be able to go places geese are not allowed sometimes... But at least with how things are now, I'm not sure if that would be possible. He has become more independent, but still needs one of us to be visible or will become so distressed. Will it always be this way? What if we adopted another gosling... would he eventually imprint on them and be okay with just them? Or will he forever be very distressed when I’m not visible?

Of course we would not dream of adding another pet to our household until we’re as sure as can be that it would work out and everyone would be happy.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks so very much.

IMG_1852.JPG IMG_1846.PNG

Last edited:
Goslings are the best. :love
I myself have a pair of American Buff goslings for the first time ever. I wasn't expecting them to bond so strongly with me. They quickly became my favorite birds ever. Of course, my situation is different in that they also have each other.

I recently read a post on here about a human imprinted gander adopting goslings and imprinting on them, forgetting about his human. I think it was @sourland ?
Hopefully he will have some insight for you.

In the meantime, what is your little dude's name?

People have kept a single pampered goose as a pet and have reported the single goose being happy and stable. In my opinion though, it would be better to get your single goose a friend.

My experience in raising a single gosling (who was raised with chicken chicks) is that I added another goose (of about the same age) once my single goose was about 6 months old. Geese are smart. Even though my single raised goose had never seen another goose before, and was terrified of the strange newcomer, he soon discovered that she spoke his language, and after about a week the two became friends.

I know your delima I too have a single goose who has imprinted he stays outside in a big coop but with chicken neighbors because I put him with chickens and he plucked them bald. He comes out with me during some of the day and then goes back in. He does hollar for me for a few minutes but then he settles down. I had to do a little tough love when he was younger but he's doing good now. He knows that he gets to come out in the morning and evenings to be with me. He even is so bad that only I can get him out, my husband said he tries when he comes outside but Peaty just runs to the back of the cage and won't come out. But when I do I just have to open the door and catch lol he jumps in my arms pretty much wants his kisses and hugs then wants down to graze. I can't sneak off either to go to the bathroom without him having to go. He will start pitching a fit if I don't let him go. He knows that when he's out it's his time with me. He will wonder off and graze but never leaves his sight of me. So I totally understand. However I don't spoil mine as much as u do yours haha. He's soooooo cute too. My advice is to keep him. How do u keep him from pooing everywhere lol

Back
Top Bottom