Looking at getting peafowl

jausenclaus

Chirping
12 Years
May 2, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
We have been thinking of getting a pair or trio of peafowl for a while now. I am hoping to visit one or two local farms to get an idea of the best way to house the birds. We have about 100 chickens, 12 ducks, 10 geese, 5guineas and three baby turkeys. Our birds freerange and sleep together in a large room that was built on the side of a 40x60 barn. I am not sure which type of peafowl we want to get, I do like the blues, pieds and whites. I'm hoping buy chicks and raise them. We haven't been too successful with hatching and do not want to lose the birds because of a failed hatching. Is there a type that is more gentle than the others, etc.? We like to interact with our birds and have an 8 year old son, so we want to try to get birds that are not agressive to him. So, I guess what I'm asking for is, what type would be best for our situation? Recommendations for breeders or birds avaiable close to Ellis County, Texas.

Thanks.

Whatever you decide on, I have an Aunt that's in the Summerville area with some nice peafowl. Last I talked to her she's still raising and selling. I'm not sure how close that is to you, but I know she has a wide variety of peas.

Thanks for your replies. My son and I visited with Sid from Texas Peafowl today and we brought home four peachicks (4 weeks old? I think) and 8 guinea keets. His place is really nice. One of the peachicks is a pied, but I'm not sure about the other three. It was a long drive home, 1.5 hours, and they seem okay. I'm wondering if they are just stressed or its too hot in there. They were still in a brooder, but we have them in a rubbermaid tub with a metal rack over the top. They can already fly so I bought some netting this afternoon. I want to put it on top instead of the metal rack. I don't want them to try to fly up and hit it. They're very quiet, but alert. I have not seen them eating or drinking. I'll check them again before I go to bed to see how they're doing. I have pine chips underneath them, I hope that won't hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom