looking at this coop? thoughts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ZephyrWoodsFarm, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ZephyrWoodsFarm

ZephyrWoodsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    Merrill, WI
    [​IMG]

Finally talked to my better half about getting chickens again. He was alittle resistant but finally agreed (little chicken dance here [​IMG] )

So looking at buying a used coop instead of building. (part of the deal!!)

I posted on Craigslist and got this one as a response so far. Decent price $200 and hoping to talk them down alittle.

Thoughts? and what would you do to improve ???? How would you add ventilation? Probably won't get chickens until spring as supposed to snow this week and won't have time to get wire run ready but could work on this to prepare [​IMG] but you never know [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    That would be a wonderful coop! Improve on ventilation and safety and you will be golden [​IMG]

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Wow! I think that's an excellent deal for $200-but hopefully you can talk them down a little [​IMG] It looks like the whole top ridge above the windows is ventilation. I would just add windows on either side to let more light in...

You can always keep your eye out for a roof vent/turbine to add to the roof later on.

4. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    Sweet deal at $200. I know around here i could not build that for les then $200.....Grab it.....pics of coop after would be col......jim s

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Go for it! $200 sounds very good to me just as it is...

6. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    Definately an excellent deal.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Whoa, that big white shed for *seriously* only $200? Me first, me first! LOL

Do remember though that depending on what kinds of friends with what kinds of trucks you have access too, and depending how that coop is constructed, it will be a Project to move. I would suggest attaching some good diagonal bracing on the inside if the studs are exposed (and possibly even if they aren't), and it is not impossible you may have a few repairs to make when you get it home.

It may not need a lot more ventilation (or it may, hard to tell from that pic) but that'd be real easy to do, not an issue at all.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. ZephyrWoodsFarm

ZephyrWoodsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    Merrill, WI
    thanks everyone [​IMG]

I have been amazed that I got several emails for coops around $200.00.

NOW THE BIG THING is moving them. Most people don't have equipment [​IMG] and if we bring our tractor no room for coop [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  9. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    if i lived closer id totaly help i got a 90's f-350 with HD springs and a brand new power plant out of a 03 + a heavy duty forklift to just pick it up and set it down on the flatbed but im in arizona lol but still 200 is a killler deal then again you can buy sheds for nothing these days, i sold my shed in flrorida that was a 2002 all aluminum shed and i only sold that for 1000 oh and it was 20'x10'

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  10. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Gosh, if you can't figure out how to move the thing, I want it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by