Looking before I leap

kellygirrl

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
Fairfield Iowa
I want poultry, just a couple or three pest eating layers (not crow-ers) who won't get me busted by the small town police. Though my yard is smallish and I can't maybe grow too much food for them, I want to learn all about it for friends with land, and for when maybe I have land one day. I want to learn so many things, like who's gentlest on the garden (ducks?), best foragers, layers, nice dispositioned, etc. Best ways to care for them.

I'm exploring the limits of what can be down on an urban lot, toward self sufficiency and creating a garden of Eden. Why wouldn't anyone? I want to be that encouragement for others, through successful example (Don't look yet
roll.png
).

I live in a small town (10,000) with an active alternative/off the grid community, and an even more substantial not alternative community as well lol. But we're all learning together, that's clear. I'm learning on a very busy corner, so I hear about it from everyone walking by while I'm trying to garden, or in the grocery store. I'm surprised how intrigued and delighted most people are with my endevours, despite my slow learning curve. Next year, ducks or chickens. Even if I have to fight city hall. Hope I can get my important questions answered, and share my learning with friends and neighbors.

Thank YOU for sharing.

Kelly

Hi and welcome,

i am also just starting out. as are many of us, and we all learn from people here with a great deal of experience. Great site.

I am literally a Back Yard Chicken keeper.

I have just 4 girls and I get eggs each day, and loads of compost for my garden which I will be working more this year than last year... so I am just a while down the road. lol....you wil soon be where I am now.

I started last september with 4 Sex links as they are called over there.

good luck to you.

Jena.

welcome-byc.gif
the TRUE Lunatic Frindge!!!! I am sure you will feel right at home here. There is so much info here it may fry your brain.
ya.gif

I would check the local laws on having chickens, alot of place will let you have a "few" hens just no roo's. If it is an alternative minded place I would almost bet on it.

You will find there are a lot of favorite breeds here. They all have their desirable traits. I like my PWL's. They can be a little high strung, but my wife won't eat brown eggs so I really did not have a huge bunch to pick from.

Enjoy your time here. Remember there are no dumb questions either.

19514_welcome_to_byc.gif

Welcome, you will find many here that are "hiding" their hens! Check out the coop section. Some have posted pictures of coops that are disguised very well.

Quote:
Thank you guys! I already feel at home. This is gonna be fun!

No worries, Padre. Brain already good n' fried. I dream in latin plant names. But don't know how to make little icons jump up and down. Soooo much to learn....
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom