Looking eggbound after laying egg

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
Hi everyone, this one has me stumped - I can’t find a single piece of information online so thought I would come to my brains trust.

I have a girl that started laying eggs a couple of months ago - everything leading up to laying is fine, behaviour perfectly normal and she lays her eggs just like everyone else. Issue is, after she lays her egg it looks like she is egg bound. Hunched position, fluffy, bottom low, vent pulsating, walking slowly, heavy breathing, etc. then around half and hour or so later, she snaps out of it and is back to her energetic normal self. She has no history of soft shelled eggs, or any other reproductive issues.

I have checked her over when she is like this and her vent is good, internal exam is normal, poops fine, it just looks like she is in pain. I will be taking her to the vet over this and hopefully getting an implant but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this or knows what may be going on so I can try to point the vet in the right direction.

I should also mention - this has been ongoing for a month or so. I just assumed she was recovering from starting to lay eggs at first but her body should have adapted to it by now.

Back
Top Bottom