Looking for 5 to 8 chickens that will lay large eggs...

jslehrmann69

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
I just moved back to Texas from a long Navy career and look forward to raising some chickens with my 3 boys. I want them primarily for eggs. I've never raised them but my family has and it interest me. Where in the Waco area can I get some and what type would be the best? I want fresh eggs as often as possible and a good size egg would be great.

Hey, I'm moving to TX, and I am looking at naked necks (Duane Urch has large fowl NNs, and a member on BYC has really good looking birds, by I have to look up their username) and cubalayas (check out the cubalaya thread) for meat, but first maybe some basque hens/euskal oiloa (there is a thread for hem too) for eggs only. All three breeds are supposed to do very well in the heat. There are Mediterranean breeds other than the Basques that do well in hot weather, but everything I have read on them lists them as being flighty. I want a calm, friendly, and pretty egg layer, and the Basques seem to fit all three categories. They lay a large, brown egg.

I just moved back to Texas from a long Navy career and look forward to raising some chickens with my 3 boys. I want them primarily for eggs. I've never raised them but my family has and it interest me. Where in the Waco area can I get some and what type would be the best? I want fresh eggs as often as possible and a good size egg would be great.
Red sexlinks and white leghorns will give you lots of eggs and large ones too...

If you want white eggs, go for leghorns (I like brown birds better than white personally) and if you want brown eggs go for a sex link layer or production red. Those are your best bets for high production layers. Your local feed store should have them as chicks in the spring, or you can search on line hatcheries.

Australorps make great layers of large light brown eggs and have the reputation for the highest average number of eggs per year.

Minorcas lay large white eggs ...extraordinary considering their actual physical size. They can be flighty if not handled when young, but eat less feed than larger birds. My five (three black and two buff) lay 3 to 5 eggs a day.

And unless you are going to breed your chickens, you don't have to have a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom