Looking for a Call Duck in KS and help with intermingling breeds

BuffLuvin

Hatching
Apr 15, 2015
Kansas, USA
I have two Buff ducks and previously had two Call Ducks. We lost the male Call last night from a skunk.

Feeling pretty bad for the female Call. The two breeds sleep in separate coops and we try to section off the area they run in during the day because the Buff Ducks are so much bigger and will get aggressive with the Calls. I would love to find a male Call to go with our now-lonely female Call.

We're building an aviary at our next house (in 2016 or 2017) so we won't have to worry about these predators. Until then we're setting up something around the entire edging of their run area to keep the skunk from digging and getting to the female.

Obviously, I need to post this on the BST thread, but I don't have enough posts yet to go there.

Secondly,
Does anyone know if we can allow the female Call to be with the male and female Buff ducks until we find a new Call? Or is it better to leave her in her own secluded area and coop at night so they don't hurt her?

That question would best be presented to folks on the "Duck thread." They should be able to give you the best advice. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Thanks! I will ask on that thread. I read the rules for the BST thread and just assumed I needed 20 posts before going to different threads... whoops!

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sorry you lost one of your ducks to a skunk. I used to live in KS and know those skunks can be a real problem. I hope someone over on the duck forum can answer your question about housing them together (or not).

In the meantime, get that post count up so you can use the b-s-t forum. You can welcome other new members, post on the KS state thread or find a discussion that interests you & jump in.

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom