Looking for a Canadian gosling

Takeylla

Songster
Oct 8, 2018
USA, South Carolina
I’m looking for a Canada goose gosling around May 6th of this year, because I’d thought it would be a perfect 18th birthday present for my boyfriend/future husband. I had experience with raising Canadian and Chinese geese. I’d be there to help care for it to, it’ll be a pet goose, and I’d be ok with it being shipped if it has to be. (And if you know if it’s a he/her it’ll be nice to know so we could give it an appropriate name to the gender of the goose or gander) I live in Columbia SC.

I'm not sure if there's anyone on here that has the proper permits to breed and sell Canada geese, but there are several gamefowl and wild waterfowl groups on Facebook where you might find someone who does and can provide you with the paperwork you will need to have in order to legally keep one.

Also, make sure you get at least two goslings, since they are flock animals and really need to be kept with a friend of their own species :)

I'm not sure if there's anyone on here that has the proper permits to breed and sell Canada geese, but there are several gamefowl and wild waterfowl groups on Facebook where you might find someone who does and can provide you with the paperwork you will need to have in order to legally keep one.

Also, make sure you get at least two goslings, since they are flock animals and really need to be kept with a friend of their own species :)
Oh ok thank you I’ll check it out, and we was gonna keep them as pets in the house with my boyfriend (since we’re still in school and don’t live together yet but his house is conveniently 2 houses down in my neighborhood)

Oh ok thank you I’ll check it out, and we was gonna keep them as pets in the house with my boyfriend (since we’re still in school and don’t live together yet but his house is conveniently 2 houses down in my neighborhood)

Just a couple things to think about before getting them - geese live for 30 years; do you think you will have the same living situation for the next 30 years? Will you be going off to college? If yes, it's unlikely they will allow geese in the dorms. Will your parents be okay with two loud geese in the house? If you choose to move out, will you be able to afford a house right away, or might you guys have to rent an apartment together? A lot of apartments don't allow pets, especially noisy geese that will disturb other tenants.

Also, these particular geese need a special permit to be able to sell them or give them away. So that's also something you may have to deal with in the future if you can no longer keep the geese for any reason. You'd have to pay for a special permit before you could even legally find them a new home.

Just a couple things to think about before getting them - geese live for 30 years; do you think you will have the same living situation for the next 30 years? Will you be going off to college? If yes, it's unlikely they will allow geese in the dorms. Will your parents be okay with two loud geese in the house? If you choose to move out, will you be able to afford a house right away, or might you guys have to rent an apartment together? A lot of apartments don't allow pets, especially noisy geese that will disturb other tenants.

Also, these particular geese need a special permit to be able to sell them or give them away. So that's also something you may have to deal with in the future if you can no longer keep the geese for any reason. You'd have to pay for a special permit before you could even legally find them a new home.
If we move out we would go to my mom first before we find our own place, and she wouldn’t mind considering I had 18 chickens, 3 ducks, 2 geese (Chinese), 2 gerbils, a dog, a cat, a lion head rabbit, a goldfish, and a sunfish when I lived with her before I went into foster care (where I still am until I graduate high school and I’m in my last year and I could technically leave now since I’m 19 now.)

Canada Geese are horribly loud, aggressive, large birds. Not really suitable for a house pet. They are also federally protected and illegal to keep in most states. Canada Geese, like all native birds, are protected by the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act in the United States and Canada. This makes it illegal to remove any Canada Geese or eggs from the wild or keep any wild bred Canada Geese as a pet. In the U.S., only captive-bred Canada Geese that have been properly marked may be kept as a pet without permits. They can be marked by removal of the hind toe on the right foot, pinioning, banding, or tattooing a foot. Marking must be done by 6 weeks of age. In South Carolina, further laws prohibit ownership of most native mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Very few are allowed with state permit, even if captive-bred.

Canada Geese are horribly loud, aggressive, large birds. Not really suitable for a house pet. They are also federally protected and illegal to keep in most states. Canada Geese, like all native birds, are protected by the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act in the United States and Canada. This makes it illegal to remove any Canada Geese or eggs from the wild or keep any wild bred Canada Geese as a pet. In the U.S., only captive-bred Canada Geese that have been properly marked may be kept as a pet without permits. They can be marked by removal of the hind toe on the right foot, pinioning, banding, or tattooing a foot. Marking must be done by 6 weeks of age. In South Carolina, further laws prohibit ownership of most native mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Very few are allowed with state permit, even if captive-bred.
I know, that’s why I was looking for some, in hopes of finding some captive breds, but I ended up getting some Hatchery choice goslings from ideal poultry and I know how canada geese are I raised one when I was youner and unaware of them being illegal to keep, we let it go at the pond where there is a lot of them and it did well from there, but we have domestic geese now, and they are sweet little babies who are a week and one day old today and they always like to follow me where ever I go

Back
Top Bottom