Looking for a coop..

MichaelCindy

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
MY son and I are taking advantage of this time and full filling our dream of owning chickens. We are looking at building our coop for up to 6 chickens. Easy is good as neither of us are great carpenters. We live in North California so snow , ice and freeziing is not a concern.
Thanks for the help

You can browse the chicken coop forums. Lots of ideas using anything from pvc pipe to pallets.

Make sure to leave adequate ventilation yet not enough space for a predator.

We built our new one from used pallets that were still in good condition. I won't lie, it isn't the prettiest coop, but it is doable and not too difficult. It is pretty big and took only a few weeks of on and off work to finish.

Hi and welcome to BYC! Maybe try looking up coop ideas on the internet!
yippiechickie.gif

:welcome Welcome ... As everyone prior have said, there are many designs online ... Plan it out and plan for additions (Chicken Math). The recommended space in a coop is 4 sq ft per chicken and 10 sq ft in the run, again bigger the better. I do recommend a poop board under the roost in the coop, definitely keeps cleaning to a minimum.

Some have purchased storage sheds, renovating with extra ventilation, windows, perches, nest boxes ... Good ventilation is essential for the health of your chickens. You could secure a run to the shed.

Hubby built me a 8x12x7 enclosure, wrapped in chicken wire (we don't have a serious predator problem here), slant metal roofing (rains alot). I hung shower liners around the perimeter on EMT "rods". I close them off when we get our rains, other then take is "open air" and lots of ventilation (get hot/humid). I have kept 5 Wyandottes at once, 4 BOs several times and not 4 Whitings. I use a large dog house as their nest box ... Works for me and simple.

Pics are from 2017 and it's still in operation ... One thing I wish we would have done was put the posts & 2x4 up on blocks. The 2x4 between the post are not structural, cheaper to use building up the sides to do a modified DLM. I keep adding shavings as needed, remove the loosen clay dirt about once a year. My yard is fenced but both sides neighbors have dogs and not taking the chance of my girls "visiting" so they remain confined.

DSC04037.JPG
DSC04237.JPG

:welcome Welcome ... As everyone prior have said, there are many designs online ... Plan it out and plan for additions (Chicken Math). The recommended space in a coop is 4 sq ft per chicken and 10 sq ft in the run, again bigger the better. I do recommend a poop board under the roost in the coop, definitely keeps cleaning to a minimum.

Some have purchased storage sheds, renovating with extra ventilation, windows, perches, nest boxes ... Good ventilation is essential for the health of your chickens. You could secure a run to the shed.

Hubby built me a 8x12x7 enclosure, wrapped in chicken wire (we don't have a serious predator problem here), slant metal roofing (rains alot). I hung shower liners around the perimeter on EMT "rods". I close them off when we get our rains, other then take is "open air" and lots of ventilation (get hot/humid). I have kept 5 Wyandottes at once, 4 BOs several times and not 4 Whitings. I use a large dog house as their nest box ... Works for me and simple.

Pics are from 2017 and it's still in operation ... One thing I wish we would have done was put the posts & 2x4 up on blocks. The 2x4 between the post are not structural, cheaper to use building up the sides to do a modified DLM. I keep adding shavings as needed, remove the loosen clay dirt about once a year. My yard is fenced but both sides neighbors have dogs and not taking the chance of my girls "visiting" so they remain confined.

View attachment 2076521View attachment 2076523
That looks nice thank you

Back
Top Bottom