Looking for a daily dose of d'uccles!

Pics
The key to potty training is to get them to be aware of when they are pooping.. so you need to be holding them a lot, but before a bird poops their feet get HOT.. like noticeable increase quickly, then they will fluff just a bit before squatting. At that moment, say poop, or whatever you want, and hold them over the area you want them to poop on, or OFF the area you don't want them to poop on. Soon they will "notice" the pattern... so youre really just helping them to be aware a pile is about to come out of their butt.. some birds get it.. some don't. I had ZERO luck at all w Elsa (bantam cochin) but the D'uccles did figure it out, enough to not poop on my couch. Ive had some parrots that figured it out, some that learned to say poop, but not be potty trained, and some that were oblivious. But chickens are just as smart!

If it doesn't work though, chicken diapers made w a "pocket" poop receptacle are best.. not the ones that smash against their vent. I line them w a panty liner and just toss it when they are done. Keeps things clean and easy!

**edit- train them from several days old... once they are big, its too late.
Thank you very much for the info :bow These boys are unfortunately 5 weeks old now. I will try it anyway but... Do you think it would work?

Back
Top Bottom