Looking For A Good Crockpot Recipe For An Old Roo

check out foodnetwork.com Alton Brown It was some time ago i say an episode of Good Eats he cooked up what i beleive was an old french recipe It was a slow cooking process specifically for old roos

I don't know if this would be a good recipe for an Old roo - but it Is a good recipe for the crock-pot:

couple pounds boneless skinless chicken meat(breast/thigh/etc)
onion(chopped)
pound or so of sliced mushrooms
dry white wine and/or sherry
butter
italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

melt butter(I also add a bit of EVOO) and brown chicken on all sides - put into crock-pot.
melt some more butter and saute mushrooms and onions. add to crock-pot.
pour white wine and/or sherry into the saute pan to get any tasty bits off bottom of pan(I tend to be on the generous side with the sherry and white wine - you could also use red wine). Pour into crock-pot over chicken, mushrooms, and onions. sprinkle with italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook on high for about 3 hours, on low for 6-8 hours. I serve it over rice of any kind, but it also pairs well with noodles. You could add a bit of chicken stock and corn starch mixed with a bit of water if you like to make a gravy. Bon Appetite!!

Coq au Vin was invented by the French to use old roos.
Check out Alton Brown's recipe k_long refers to or invent your own using onions, mushrooms & red wine with some thyme or tarragon.
Sequin's recipe sounds like a version too.

Or you could do a cacciatore using tomato sauce, bell peppers & black olives.

Either way, the slowcooker will be perfect for tenderizing the old bird.

1 can of cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup white wine
1 can of artichoke hearts
1/4 cup capers
1 cup kalamata olives (no pits)
1/4 cup olive oil
sprinkling of herbs - you pi ck

on high 5 hours or on low 8 hours. turn the bird over half way through so he gets good and moist. pull the bones out before you serve. pour over egg noodles. this sauce is surprisingly creamy but if you want a milky creamyness add heavy cream or cream cheeese befre you serve. don't salt until you taste when done.

Sorry I Haven't Gotton Back To All Of U, But Been A Little Busy. Thank U All 4 The Recipies N I Will Give Them A Try. Have A Great Day, God Bless!!

Back
Top Bottom