Looking for a grey brown egg layer

Worriesandwonders

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2020
Hello! I was wondering if I could get some recommendations of brown egg laying breeds. I'm looking for a grey colored breed. I'd love to know some of your favorites and if they are a good chicken breed or not. Thanks!

Yes, sapphire gems are great. They are a mix of blue rock rooster x barred rock hen. They are sex linked, so you are guaranteed 100% pullets. Mine lay MASSIVE, duck-sized eggs and are great egg producers.

Pro or Con: All four of mine are vocal.

Curious. Pay attention to strange critters ground and especially sky. Nice size eggs. Good foragers.

Some other breeds are blue copper maran, blue birchen maran, blue cuckoo maran, blue cochin, blue orpington, and lavender orpington, and dark brahma.

Marans lay very dark brown eggs, and are pretty friendly birds. They lay about 3-5 eggs a week.

Orpingtons are giant, fluffy birds that lay a light brown egg. They are super sweet and make good mothers if you let them hatch eggs. They are good layers with about 4-5 eggs per week.

Cochins and brahmas are HUGE birds that lay a light brown egg. They have feathered legs and are very friendly. They don't lay many eggs (3-4 a week) but they are great pets.

I have all 4 breeds and personally love all of them.

You want gray chickens that lay brownish eggs correct? It is not a given but I have three Swedish Flower Hens and they are sisters that came as a day old from the hatchery but they have different feather coloring which is all a shade of gray mixed with other various colors and very pretty birds that you will be so pleased with in looks and nature.

Some other breeds are blue copper maran, blue birchen maran, blue cuckoo maran, blue cochin, blue orpington, and lavender orpington, and dark brahma.

Marans lay very dark brown eggs, and are pretty friendly birds. They lay about 3-5 eggs a week.

Orpingtons are giant, fluffy birds that lay a light brown egg. They are super sweet and make good mothers if you let them hatch eggs. They are good layers with about 4-5 eggs per week.

Cochins and brahmas are HUGE birds that lay a light brown egg. They have feathered legs and are very friendly. They don't lay many eggs (3-4 a week) but they are great pets.

I have all 4 breeds and personally love all of them.
I have Black:Lavender Orpingtons and they can be little stinkers as flock bodyguards and they always want to get their share of food by no mistake. They can be snappy too. They will get your rings or anything shiny with their beaks right away so you have to be on top of things and paying attention to them but they let you handle them easy and don’t mind ever being petted and they always want to be part of the flock.

I have a blue birchen marans, she is a gorgeous bird with a sweet personality and will soon lay dark brown eggs.
Many breeds come in a blue or grey version these days as blue has become quite popular.
I also recommend blue orpingtons or australorps!:)

Back
Top Bottom