looking for a hardy breed!

dinahmoe

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
central georgia
hi!everyone.i am a new member.i currently have RIR and some buffs for my laying stock(6).they are enclosed with supervised play time.i have 70 acres with 32 acres currently fenced.i was looking for some poultry to let run freely on the 30 acres.we have horses and they have ticks every year.we also have possums,coons,foxes and hawks.the birds would have a barn for shelter and food but pretty much left alone.i was told guineas would work but i'm not sure they would be tough enough.what about some of the game birds?any advice would be greatly appreciated.thanks GB:)

Well, I would think that first of all, we'd need to know more about your conditions. The space sounds wonderful, but where are you located?

Some birds do better in the northern climates than others. Are you looking for cold hardy breeds? Or breeds that can handle the heat and humidity of the southern states?

You mention that the 30 acres is fenced, but not what kind of fencing. 4 strand barbed wire or electric will keep the horses in, but do nothing for keeping predators out or your birds in. With that kind of fence, either can go right under.

Hawks of course are always a concern. Free ranging in a wide open 30 acres with no source of cover is a sure recipe for hawk predation on any breed or type of bird you could keep.

Foxes, opossums, raccoons, and, if you have those, you likely have coyote's as well, are consummate predators of both birds and eggs. Those predators are, for the most part, nocturnal hunters. Unless you round up and lock your birds in for the night, you can probably expect a lot of predation on your flock from that quarter as well.

I'd love to be able to recommend birds that would fit your needs, but, I think we all need a bit more information before we can even try.

My guineas are very hardy. They roost in the trees year round and fend for themselves. The only time I even throw any feed out for them is when the ground is covered with snow.

Guineas ARE great for bugs, but I had to sell mine because they don't like big red birds. All or my RIRs were getting picked on, and they drove my roo into the woods for 3 days straight.

Serrin is correct- you should have someway to close them in at night. A racoon can wipe out your entire flock in one evening. I've had them stick their little hands through welded wire fenicng and rip a bunch of birds heads off.
somad.gif

sorry for the lack of info.i live in georgia,so hot and humid with mild winters .the property is fenced with page wire.there are a few places they can get under though.there is a creek and about half thick woods and then half open pasture.i could secure them at night if neccesary.thanks

Guineas ARE great for bugs, but I had to sell mine because they don't like big red birds. All or my RIRs were getting picked on, and they drove my roo into the woods for 3 days straight.

Same exact story here! Weird goonie-birds.

I'm in Fannin County, Ga. I love Barred Rocks for all-round best chicken for personality, laying consistency and foraging ability. The other great foragers I have are my Delawares, but being a mostly white bird, you may not want that. They lay a beautiful egg and are very active.​

Well you have alot to work with..
There's Guineas, Muscovy ducks, Chinese geese, Rhode Island Red chickens, American Game chicken This should give you a idea..

Chris

I would think that Guineas would be one of the best for the bugs.

My other big thought would be turkeys! Turkeys love bugs, and are bigger, so would help reduce the risk of daytime predation. You would still have to lock them in at night.

Back
Top Bottom