Looking for a incubator

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by michaelpte, Jan 7, 2011.

1. michaelpte

michaelpte Hatching

Jan 7, 2011
    Demotte IN
    I am looking for a used incubator. I am looking for more of a standard one more than a commercial one and with a egg turner as well. Please let me know if anyone has one and is looking to get rid of it.[​IMG]

I would take a commercial one if the price is right though.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I would suggest getting a new incubator, there are all sorts of things that can go wrong with used incubators.

1) Cleanliness, a used incubator has a higher risk of contaminating the eggs with bacteria
    2) I have seen people pay big money for an incubator that worked "perfectly" then you end up spending so much on new parts you might aswell have bought a new one

3. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    agreed

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You might check out some of the home-made designs under "coop designs" above. I never thought I could make my own but after looking at those, decided to give it a shot. I had previously obtained an Omaha Steaks cooler from someone off Freecycle. About 3 weeks ago, DH and I made the incubator from that and other materials WE ALREADY HAD AROUND THE HOUSE! (I used to keep reptiles so already had thermostat, thermometer etc.) I am picking up my first set of hatching eggs this weekend, so yesterday got it all set up and turned on. Left it on all night so temps/humidity could stabilize and checked it first thing when I got up this morning and both temp and humidity are PERFECT. Now I finally feel I'm ready to get those eggs and try this new venture out. Anyway, if I can do it, I'm sure you can too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: