looking for a nice dark brown egg layer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by catterbug, Dec 19, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I would like to add a nice dark brown egg layer to my flock. I only have 8 chickens and would like to add about 4-6 more. I have 2 small children so I would like something that is friendly and a pretty good layer. However I really don't need a broody chicken so if there is one that is less likely to go broody I would prefer that. Right now I have 2 RIR, 2 Golden Buffs, 2 Salmon Faverolles and 2 Easter Eggers. I was thinking about the Cuckoo Marans but I read that they are active. Is that bad? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cuckoo Marans aren't necessarily "dark" brown egg layers. . . They're slightly darker than a brown egg, more on the orange side. (In most cases)

A true dark brown layer would be a "French" Marans (must have feathering on its legs - Such colors like Wheaten, Black Copper, Blue Wheaten, Blue Copper, White, Golden Salmon.

You'll need to search for breeders though, but it is WELL worth the time and money. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by