Looking for a quick an easy coop

Gearmpr

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2015
Rakestraw Red Farms Loranger La
Hello everyone, I'm getting 6 new birds from a egg farm, they're in rough shape so I want to keep them separate to make sure they aren't diseased. However my existing coop is very tight quarters so I'll probably need to build a temporary coop for the 6 new birds. I'm hoping for a plywood, wire, and maybe some 2x4 small temporary coop. I've never built one before, does anyone have any plans or pointers to share? Thanks

Get a book on how to build a shed. It will take just a few modifications to make that into a really good coop. Talk to your librarian about a book you can check out. If there isn’t one in the library they should be able to order one for you. An alternative is to buy a book about it at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Get a book on how to build a shed. It will take just a few modifications to make that into a really good coop. Talk to your librarian about a book you can check out. If there isn’t one in the library they should be able to order one for you. An alternative is to buy a book about it at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

That would be good, but the only problem is I don't have time to plan lol the birds were last minute and needed a home, they'll be here in 2 days lol.

Use the common dimensions of lumber to your advantage. Walls with dimensions of 4 or 8 feet will result in less waste and minimal cuts.

A single slope roof will come together quickly. For a small, emergency coop, use rafter braces rather than cutting birdmouth joints to save time.

Experience (and proper basic tools) definitely would make a difference! Like TalkAlittle said, a 4x8x4 no-frill box with a plastic panel roof can be build in 1/2 day. It would be big enough and keep the flock safe. Add Windows, pitched roof, and bells and whistles in your pace.

Thank all y'all for the quick and extremely helpful comments, I was able to just make some quick easy mods to my coop run to accommodate them. They're in rough shape, cataracts, lots of missing feathers, and pale pale skin/combs. Hopefully a little tlc and space will fix their troubles. They're troopers though, still laying eggs strong

It's nice that you are caring for those poor birds. If you need more space, the hoop coops look quick and cheap. There are several examples here if you do a search for them. Good luck!

I was under the impression you wished to quarantine them in case they carried anything contagious.

The cataracts make me go "hmm?". I thought I recall reading that cataracts is one of the lasting effects of some viral infection. I hope the birds aren't carriers of something nasty.

Back
Top Bottom