Looking for a teacher for processing in NY

twigcrafter

Songster
6 Years
May 5, 2016
Orange county NY
Hi,
Does anyone know of a chicken processor in orange county NY? I bought some meat birds thinking I was up to the task on utube videos alone, and here of course. but now that the doing the deed date approaches, I'm wimping out.

Best case scenario, someone who would come to my house and teach me as we process chickens. I'm willing to pay. Not a bazillion $$ but I want to learn. Preferably another woman. We tend to not talk down to each other. Even if one of us is freaking out a tad. I just need guidance, and confidence. My hubby will kill them But that's all he will do lol, Maybe he will eat them? who knows

You might see if there is a New York thread to ask on. Otherwise, there are some great YouTube videos you can ask@ChickenCanoe the link.

The Featherman site has a feature where you search for people who rent their Featherman set-up to home processors. Some one of them may be willing to teach you. That is how I learned. You are unlikely to find a woman with a featherman set up to teach you, there are just a few people out there.

Cornell Cooperative Extension has a map of all processing plants, it is not all up to date, but it is a very good start. One of these MAY allow you to observe processing, then again, they may not. I do think you should observe as much as you can of a processors operation to make sure they handle and store birds humanely, and the place is clean. If you are willing to drive a ways north, I can certainly recommend an excellent processor.

Thanks! I just sent you a PM.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom