What's Going on with Blooie?

Oh Blooie.... coming in late as usual

upload_2017-10-11_22-3-2.gif
My ride is somewhat unreliable..... but
upload_2017-10-5_8-25-23.gif
I do miss getting Blooied now and then.... Speaking as a non chicken keeper (coyote raid 2014) I am still hanging in there....

Hope you have great adventures....

LOVE deb

You can still give advice, don't go. Just because you don't have chickens doesn't mean all your experience is worthless. Plus, you're funny! I was wondering where you've been, didn't know what happened. So sorry about your flock! :hugs

I'm doing something I don't normally do - copy and pasting from Facebook. I just don't really feel like typing it all over again, and it says pretty much everything I'd say anyway. Will I leave BYC? I doubt it, but after becoming a new chicken-non-owner I'm not sure I'm in a position to be taken seriously answering questions or dispensing advice, except maybe what's contained in here.

This post will be long - feel free to scroll on by.

Last night I lost my entire flock to a predator. The culprit had 2 legs, gray hair and was a tad bit overweight. Each chicken was plucked off the roost in the dark, one by one, and named by name as it was placed in a large wire cage. The cage was placed in the back of pickup truck and driven off by another two-legged co-predator to a new home.

It took weeks of soul searching to make the final decision to rehome my flock. My husband has taken a new position requiring us to travel frequently and often for days at a time. I have a favorite chicken-sitter, our chicken loving granddaughter, but they are moving from their home which was right across the street from us. Add to that some health issues which have kept me from caring for them as well as I had always been able to in the past and we had a recipe for soon-to-be neglected chickens. We couldn't let it get to that point. Hubby has been doing most of the flock work for sometime now, and he did a fantastic job, even through his shoulder surgery, but his plate was rapidly filling up.

We debated for sometime about what to do. Providence stepped in several days ago during a trip Hubby and a friend were taking to a meeting, when the friend mentioned to Ken that he'd like to add to his small flock. Our dilemma was explained to him, he took careful stock of his facilities and existing flock when he got back home, and called us with the news that he would be happy to add ours. Last night was the night.

This post has a lesson in it. For the sake of your flock, don't be afraid or ashamed to admit when you can no longer be the caregiver you started out to be. If you have to reach that decision, take your time.....acting in haste usually doesn't yield ideal results. We briefly thought about just culling the flock and putting them all in the freezer, but many of them were young, with good years of egg production still in them, and others were our "old ladies", birds who had taken the first step of this chicken journey with us - chickens like good old Agatha and friendly, sweet natured Tank, the Light Brahma. I'm so glad we didn't just go out and start processing, although we certainly would have if it came down to it.

Those goofy chickens gave us a lot of laughs, some sleepless nights, and taught our grandkids the joy and value of just being around them. They helped teach our littlest disabled granddaughter, Kendra (in her wheelchair since 9 months old, non verbal and autistic) what she COULD do instead of what her limits were. Her sister Katie, also autistic but mildly so, learned empathy and a sense of achievement from them. She's now 11, but from 8 years old on we were able to leave town for a week at a time, leaving her totally in charge, and never worry.

So I take from this a little regret, an amazing learning process, and the chance I had to share with others what I'd learned. Mama Heating Pad, raising chicks outdoors in the run, early integration, sub-zero temperature housing and how to build a safe, sturdy hoop run all came about because my flock gave me the confidence to push the boundaries of the conventional, and because I had some fantastic friends and mentors along the way. (Oh, and 1507 photos of chicks and chickens, lest I forget!) Yep, I'm sad today, but I'm also glad that we recognized that the time was rapidly approaching when these chickens, who had given us so much, were not going to able to receive their share in return.

I'm not looking for sympathy - I've had too much fun along the way. I just want to maybe teach one more thing before I go - stop and take stock on occasion. Don't let chicken math get the better of your common sense. Don't be afraid to say, "I can't do this anymore". Don't be ashamed to make hard choices. It's not always about fluffy chicks and first eggs. Reality bites!

I've just read a piece penned by true royalty. :bow
Don't you dare become a stranger! As far as advice, your's is always welcomed, and will remain so.

No! No more Blooie! Don't leave! We can't get along without you! We don't care if you're chicken-less now! You still have all that experience! That doesn't just disappear when the chickens drove away! :hit

Blooie, in my early days of chicken keeping I cannot begin to say how many times your posts helped me. Your legacy lives on.

Please don't go away. We are all going to some day be in your position. I hope when that day comes for me I can face it with the love, courage and compassion for my flock that you showed yours.

God bless you with many many more years of happiness.

Hey Blooie :frow

Ditto what they all said!!

I was AWOL when you went AWOL and not only did I miss you on my return, I miss you now!

I do hope you can pop in to this ‘non chicken’ thread ;) from time to time and update us on how you are doing.

Thanks also to @perchie.girl for updating the thread today or I may never have spotted it.

Waiting patiently for a Blooie Bulletin :pop ;)

There may be a way to contact her through the administrator, Nifty Chicken. He has access to her membership information. As long as she hasn't requested no notifications, he has her email information. Would it be possible to have him contact her, just out of concern? Just let her know that we all miss her and hope she is well?

Back
Top Bottom