Pics

Blooie

Team Spina Bifida
9 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Northwestern Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
I'm doing something I don't normally do - copy and pasting from Facebook. I just don't really feel like typing it all over again, and it says pretty much everything I'd say anyway. Will I leave BYC? I doubt it, but after becoming a new chicken-non-owner I'm not sure I'm in a position to be taken seriously answering questions or dispensing advice, except maybe what's contained in here.

This post will be long - feel free to scroll on by.

Last night I lost my entire flock to a predator. The culprit had 2 legs, gray hair and was a tad bit overweight. Each chicken was plucked off the roost in the dark, one by one, and named by name as it was placed in a large wire cage. The cage was placed in the back of pickup truck and driven off by another two-legged co-predator to a new home.

It took weeks of soul searching to make the final decision to rehome my flock. My husband has taken a new position requiring us to travel frequently and often for days at a time. I have a favorite chicken-sitter, our chicken loving granddaughter, but they are moving from their home which was right across the street from us. Add to that some health issues which have kept me from caring for them as well as I had always been able to in the past and we had a recipe for soon-to-be neglected chickens. We couldn't let it get to that point. Hubby has been doing most of the flock work for sometime now, and he did a fantastic job, even through his shoulder surgery, but his plate was rapidly filling up.

We debated for sometime about what to do. Providence stepped in several days ago during a trip Hubby and a friend were taking to a meeting, when the friend mentioned to Ken that he'd like to add to his small flock. Our dilemma was explained to him, he took careful stock of his facilities and existing flock when he got back home, and called us with the news that he would be happy to add ours. Last night was the night.

This post has a lesson in it. For the sake of your flock, don't be afraid or ashamed to admit when you can no longer be the caregiver you started out to be. If you have to reach that decision, take your time.....acting in haste usually doesn't yield ideal results. We briefly thought about just culling the flock and putting them all in the freezer, but many of them were young, with good years of egg production still in them, and others were our "old ladies", birds who had taken the first step of this chicken journey with us - chickens like good old Agatha and friendly, sweet natured Tank, the Light Brahma. I'm so glad we didn't just go out and start processing, although we certainly would have if it came down to it.

Those goofy chickens gave us a lot of laughs, some sleepless nights, and taught our grandkids the joy and value of just being around them. They helped teach our littlest disabled granddaughter, Kendra (in her wheelchair since 9 months old, non verbal and autistic) what she COULD do instead of what her limits were. Her sister Katie, also autistic but mildly so, learned empathy and a sense of achievement from them. She's now 11, but from 8 years old on we were able to leave town for a week at a time, leaving her totally in charge, and never worry.

So I take from this a little regret, an amazing learning process, and the chance I had to share with others what I'd learned. Mama Heating Pad, raising chicks outdoors in the run, early integration, sub-zero temperature housing and how to build a safe, sturdy hoop run all came about because my flock gave me the confidence to push the boundaries of the conventional, and because I had some fantastic friends and mentors along the way. (Oh, and 1507 photos of chicks and chickens, lest I forget!) Yep, I'm sad today, but I'm also glad that we recognized that the time was rapidly approaching when these chickens, who had given us so much, were not going to able to receive their share in return.

I'm not looking for sympathy - I've had too much fun along the way. I just want to maybe teach one more thing before I go - stop and take stock on occasion. Don't let chicken math get the better of your common sense. Don't be afraid to say, "I can't do this anymore". Don't be ashamed to make hard choices. It's not always about fluffy chicks and first eggs. Reality bites!

Blooie, so glad to hear from you. You've not been far from my mind. Take care, my sister, and enjoy your new path. Yes, you have done the right thing, but would I ever doubt that you would choose to do that? Nevah! Now, as you move forward, take some time to be kind to yourself. You give so very much, and do not take any Blooie time. You really shouldn't leave BYC, b/c you have a lot of wisdom and grace to offer. But, BYC takes time away from an already busy schedule... so... allot your time as you see fit, and bear no guilt. Know that you are loved.

Well, as I said in another thread, I know me so well and I figured if I was still posting and reading and giggling at pictures of new chicks and such, it would make the decision harder for me - that old niggling fear of no longer fitting in plus having it hit home what I was giving up. But life goes on, and life is full of changes. I've had more than my share for one year, but all of you are always here - a constant and I just can't make myself give that up too! :love

Ever see "Lilo and Stitch?"
ohana.jpg

Blooie, you're ohana. Keep in touch.:hugs

You'll be happy to know, Bruce, that Kendra just started kindergarten and she'll be 6 years old in two days! For the first time since 1989, Gramma's Day Care is closed...well, except on Fridays and on days when she is sick, or days when Jenny has to cook at the school for teacher's meeting but the girls are out. Gee, maybe I'm not that closed after all! Kids are moving - looks like they are buying a house on the other side of Cowley. Katie just started Middle School. They are growing up on me, and I ain't ready!

Back
Top Bottom