Looking for advice! I gave my broody hen day old chicks to raise..

If they're on the ground in the coop with the others, will the others bother them?
Mine moved out of the nest box for a few days and were staying on the ground in the corner of the coop. Surprisingly, none of my other chickens bothered them. I have some bullies too so I was worried. One time I did see one of my polish run at a chick but the mom gave her a hard chest bump. I haven’t noticed any problems since and the rest of the flock seems accepting of them now.

That's excellent information, thank you. I'll move her down to a nice shady corner with her bogus eggs and see if she takes to it before I bring the chicks in, she's been broody about a week so I have some time.

Total disaster. Broody hen completely rejected the chicks and they're living in my laundry room. :(
Good you caught it and got them out in time- and have a place set up for them!- that in itself is a success. I put eggs under a broody to hatch and things went badly- her killing 3 b4 I got to them. Time b4 she had excepted w/o a problem so??? :idunno Last time I put a stray chick (neighbor kids ;):rolleyes::p) when she was a day away from hatch and all went w/o a hitch.
I personally don't really care for a broody to raise chicks. They become less friendly, harder to catch even as they age. I like being the mom and the best is stealing almost hatched eggs or babies right away. If I leave my broody a few she is ok and leaves my cut alone.
*** I also have a special pen for my broody (together but separate) and shut her in alone so she does not get bullied or tossed off or eggs added to. I open of course for sand baths, nest checks and nesting material changes. When she hatches she is safe with her clutch and I can open the doors after a week or so. My broody has a junglefowl lineage so she pretty much signed the deed to that box as she can go broody up to 3-5 times per year. It is exhausting. :th

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom