looking for an example of a "chicken policy" for a rental agreement

Dewd

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Pasadena, CA
We are renting our house in Pasadena, CA. We want to ask our landlord if we can have 2-4 chickens, and I want to write out a suggested "chicken policy" so he doesn't have to do any work, and to show him that we've thought about this carefully.

Does anyone have a chicken policy in their lease? I would love to see a copy of one as a template to use.

Another piece of this .....

It is legal for residents of Pasadena to keep up to 10 hens for egg-laying or as pets. However, the current code includes space restrictions as follows:
" . . . no person shall keep chickens . . . owned or controlled by him . . within 50 feet of any street line or within 50 feet of any property line, or within 100 feet of any dwelling, house or structure used as a dwelling, church, school, hospital . . . unless such house or structure is occupied by him . . . "

Since the average residential lot size in Pasadena is barely 50 feet wide, the reality is that most residents cannot comply with this restriction.

Pasadena residents are keeping chickens anyway, and there are petitions going to encourage Pasadena to change its laws. Still no movement on that, though.

So ... how to present this to my landlord? I am thinking about avoiding any discussion of the 50 feet, and just saying it is legal for up to 10 chickens. I guess if he does his own research he'll figure it out, but maybe he won't.

Thanks!!

not in USA so cant help there but

Quote:

i think this means keeping commercial chickens where you have to be at a distance of 50 feet and 100 feet, where you leave them over night and don't actually live there

if your living where they are kept then i think that interprets as being OK to keep within those limits

not in USA so cant help there but

Quote:
i think this means keeping commercial chickens where you have to be at a distance of 50 feet and 100 feet, where you leave them over night and don't actually live there

if your living where they are kept then i think that interprets as being OK to keep within those limits
No, that means that they can be within those distance of your OWN home, but not the homes of others. So, you can attach your coop to the side of your house, and you are not in violation, but if they are closer than the prescribed limits to a NEIGHBOR's home, you are in violation. Furthermore, you still have to be 50' from streets and property lines. And 100' from occupied dwellings (etc.) So if the property line is 50' from the coop, but the neighbor's home is only 25 feet from the property line, you are too close by 25'.

Back
Top Bottom