Looking for another broody

Australorps! They lay large eggs. Can't go wrong with them. I've read that Marans are also excellent broodies. I'll find out next year when mine come of age.

My Australorps are 7 months old and their eggs are still pretty small. Of 10 hens, only one is kinda sorta thinking about going broody (it's fall here, cooling off, short days). I had Buff Orps for 3 years and they were VERY broody, but lousy layers. They would lay 8 eggs and then decide to set. Should have been dual purpose but were so intent on being broody that they really lost condition. I agree with a previous poster, I just don't think a good broody hen is also going to be that productive. Get one that lays a lot of big eggs and another to brood them, is my advice. Good luck!

My Australorps are 7 months old and their eggs are still pretty small. Of 10 hens, only one is kinda sorta thinking about going broody (it's fall here, cooling off, short days). I had Buff Orps for 3 years and they were VERY broody, but lousy layers. They would lay 8 eggs and then decide to set. Should have been dual purpose but were so intent on being broody that they really lost condition. I agree with a previous poster, I just don't think a good broody hen is also going to be that productive. Get one that lays a lot of big eggs and another to brood them, is my advice. Good luck!
I realize broodies aren’t going to be as productive. But if the genes are there to give me 200-250 large eggs per year, it’s what I am ideally looking for.

x3 on the Australorp. Mine at a few years old lays pretty good sized eggs. They would be considered large. (I’m sure the first season they may be a little smaller) Out of the 6 or 7 broodies this year, she beat everyone else when it came to dedication and protection of the chicks/eggs. The Spitzhauben and silkie bantam were ok, but didn’t protect like the Australorp did.

Forgot to add, she lays about 6 eggs per week. Almost every day. Except when molting or broody of course. When the chicks were 3 weeks old she started laying again.

I have 8 Plymouth rocks and my barnyard broody. I didn’t think hatchery rocks went broody that often.
I don’t know the age of my broody. I’ve had her for a couple years, and she had Spurs when I got her. I’m just looking to have a backup broody

A Salmon Faverolle would fit the bill as far as being broody and lay numbers...

depending on your setup she might get bullied by the rocks though...

but that might be true of a sussex or any other breed that you consider...

but of course your setup might make that a lesser concern

our Faverolles have been great broodies... this one even took in a bunch of feed store chicks to raise with the ones she hatched

0261E57D-202E-4814-A537-B4A0B0516ED4.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom