Looking for assistance in creating great indoor space for Muscovy’s and Chickens. Any advice welcome!

Qui1980

Chirping
Apr 10, 2022
Tweed, ON Canada
Have a small barn/shed/garage lol, 20’ x 20’ that we’d like to convert to new living quarters for our 6 chicks (pullets or cockerels have yet to be determined) and our current 7 scovys (2 drakes, 5 hens). Yes I have issues with the drakes and do require separate stalls at night. 3 hens are currently broody on clutches of 12-17 eggs each 🙄. Hatching 2, 3 and 4 weeks from now🤦🏼‍♀️. Any Advice of must haves/include and pics of your set up are welcome! They are free range, with the Exception of 8 Week old chick’s (silkies and Orpingtons) who Won’t be “free” to roam for another few weeks. Fingers crossed there won’t be issues with the ducks! Also, I am from Ontario, Canada so keep that in mind as winter months are quite cold! I’ve only been a poultry mom for less than a year so still have lots to learn! I’ve attached pics to get an idea of what the space currently looks like. Still clearing the space out, but thinking of keeping a few shelving units which may be quite useful for nesting areas? The current temporary garage door will be replaced with barn doors. Insulation is also being added on walls and ceiling. Should a window be installed? Or would vents suffice? If so, how many vents and what size? Out the back door we’d also like to add a 20’x30’ somewhat enclosed run for times I’m not around and not comfortable with them free ranging due to predators. The building currently does not have electricity, but extension cords from house can be run down until we invest in solar. can be Looking to do this as cheaply as possible, but also would like it done right. 😊
Thanks in advance!
6E1A3259-EBE8-4AE7-8756-6E3C3C159226.jpeg
636C19BF-47EC-4EF4-92E8-0E2B992D7CDD.jpeg
3DF7B60F-0255-4A0B-BCAC-F86AC8F1EB1C.jpeg

Looks like a lot of potential there with all the space, but it's not likely to be inexpensive.

Should a window be installed? Or would vents suffice?
Windows are good for summer ventilation as well as light in winter when it may be too nasty to venture outside the coop. But they also need ventilation all year around.
Some pics of the outside of that building would help place venting.

I am from Ontario, Canada
Where in Ontario, lots of climate variation in that large province.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1651234102605.png

Back
Top Bottom