Looking for assistance

BunnyBarnSilkies

Hatching
Oct 31, 2021
Hello all. I’m looking for some assistance.
I breed silkies as a hobby. Really I’m just doing buffs and whites right now.
A few years ago I was gifted eggs from a mixed pen (this was when I first got started and didn’t care about separate colored pens) and I hatched one of my favorite silkies.
She was a beautiful bird but unfortunately she ended up with a lump on her throat that grew as she grew and eventually it got to the point where she could no longer function with it so she was put down.
I’ve been in love with her coloring since and have finally decided to sit down and see where I should start to try and ever duplicate it.
I always said she looked like a cinnamon toast Silkie, like the coloring was sprinkled or toasted onto her.

I don’t know where to begin and I know it’s a long shot but I want to do my own project and since she was from mixed pen and she had a lump that may or may not have been genetic I don’t see the point in getting eggs from the same farm.

Any pointers would be of help. Again this is my own personal project just because her coloring was beautiful in my eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_6896.jpeg
    IMG_6896.jpeg
    751.4 KB · Views: 25
Her coloring is very mixed, but you could probably get a similar result by breeding a silver columbian with red leakage. To breed that, try a silver partridge (gray) x buff cross.

When you say she had a lump in her throat, do you mean like canker or like a tumor?

Thank you I’ll start looking into those.

It was a tumor.
Good luck with your breeding projects, the lump could have been from a parasite, a virus or even cancer. Probably not genetic. Unless you had a necropsy done on her at death, you will never know.

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom