Looking for backyard hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hens4mama, Feb 13, 2016.

1. hens4mama

hens4mama New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Hello Middle GA. Looking for backyard hens with feathers ready to lay. Interested in 4 hens for 4 kids!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Good luck with your search. :)

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. With children involved, I would suggest getting one of the breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (good lap pets) such as Australorps, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Sussex, Cochins, Silkies, or Brahmas. If high egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. I would avoid Rhode Island Reds which are sometimes aggressive (particularly hatchery quality RIRs) or Leghorns which are typically high strung and flighty (mine screamed bloody murder every time I handled them). Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. doc637

doc637 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2016
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by