looking for Border Collie Mich

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LauraSBale, Nov 19, 2009.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

hi
    I'm looking for a Border Collie pup or dog, boy preferable but not necessary in Michigan

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Have you tried any local rescues? Many times there are breed specific rescues if you are searching for a particular breed.

I'll do a quick search and see what it turns up.

That will most likely be your best bet.

-Kim

3. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Contact Border Collie Rescue groups--check online first. Border Collies have sssooooo much energy that many people can't handle it, so they get dumped. My mix, Rose, is only 1/4 Border Collie, but she acts like she's full-blooded. At my place, however, she gets to run the 5 acres (and farmland in back of us) 1 or more hours/day, so I can kinda wear her out. Usually her attitude is "how many jobs do want me to do at the same time." They are a handful. They LOVE to jump, and to chase things, full tilt, like cars. They take their jobs REALLY SERIOUSLY. But, they're also sensitive, and won't respond well to physical punishment. (I like to crate her and isolate her there for a few hours if she's really been bad, like she's done something dangerous.)
    Rose won't leave me alone if I haven't done my chores. On the other hand, though she doesn't like to be held, she sleeps touching me when I watch tv, or on the floor by the dining room table. I'm not a Border Collie expert, but I know some who are, and my dog is more Border Collie, than GS or Husky. So, if this is the type of dog you want, please find one that someone else didn't want. [​IMG]

4. ducks4you

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Wolf-Kim thanks for the links--I checked them out. I thought I'd post the only pic of Rose that I have on photobucket, because I noticed that some of the rescues were BC mixes. Here she is, a couple months ago, age 2, born May 8, 2007

[​IMG]

Notice the smile. We either get the smile, the incessant licking or the herding stare.

5. ducks4you

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Rose tells us, "My MOTHER was a wolf!"

6. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Check out your local humane society as well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was one available and they are alot less expensive than breed specific rescues are. I wanted a beagle and the lowest adoption fee I could find within 100 miles was $350. We went to the local shelter and found the most wonderful pointer ever for $40 which included the spay and rabies shot. The vet said we would probably like the pointer better due to our lifestyles. I don't know if that's true because I still don't have a beagle. But my pointer is the sweetest thing ever.

7. LauraSBale

Thanks everyone

i have checked out the
    BC rescues, some are just costly and they like you have fenced in yards, which we dont have.
    I had a border collie before, he was the greatest dog i every had, i got him from a shelter in Owosso. he was left tied to the door with his mom and 2 brothers. he past away of old age.

8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Here is an ad listed in the Lansing State Journal. I have no idea who they are, just saw it listed and thought of you.

<FEMALE BORDER collie puppies (2). 7 weeks old, first shots and wormed. Registered. Call 517-599-9032.>

Also, check out these Kijiji ads in the Flint area. http://flint.kijiji.com/dogs-puppies/?q=border+collie&catId=100126

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  9. LauraSBale

thanks
    i may have one from SPCA but will call on the pups
    thanks
    Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by