Looking for breed recommendations to add to our flock of 5

I never knew Tractor Supply had a rare breed like the Bielefelder! I wouldn't trust them from my constant bad experiences, though. All of their birds are of poor quality and the employees know practically nothing about chickens.
We got three Bielefelders I raised up for my brother from there, and I had good luck with my Australorps, though they are mostly not the best quality. Of the 5 BA pullets I got last year, there's only one I plan to breed. We did have a mix up from there too, but it hasn't all been bad. If someone is not worried about having show quality birds, it can be fine. And it's definitely nice not having to pay those small order shipping fees!

But it's true, it really varies from one location to the next. I'd like to think they try to have at least one resident chicken person in each location, but that's probably not even the case lol. It can for sure be hit and miss, but the more informed someone is about what they are looking for, it can go a bit better that way.

I actually think the BCMs are pretty cheap at Meyer. I want mcmuarry too but the minimum is six where Meyer is three.
It’s not so much about the price. I wanted the Noir Marans (or Mystic or Midnight Majesty etc) because they are sex-linked Marans that lays a dark brown egg. I haven’t been able to convince my husband that roosters are awesome yet, so I’m doing all I can to ensure I just get hens for now, but it’s limiting my choices quite a bit!

The order quantity is one of the reasons I steered away from Murray McMurray too. I’m really happy with my order from Meyer, so no regrets there.

I just want to comment…I ordered from Mt Healthy and had a WONDERFUL experience. They came highly recommended from two neighbors that have used them in the past. Our birds were large, healthy, and super friendly. @Sally PB ordered from them also and had an excellent experience. Some of their birds are a little expensive, but shipping is much lower than Meyer for a small order. Shipping was only $15 for 10…I think it’s like $30 for 3-9. We did get an extra female chick, they do send an extra bird of the breed & sex you order from each time. They had a few issues with sexing during the crazy chick hoard this spring, but once things slowed down I have heard only good things with the sexing.

Not trying to sway you, but it’s good to remember that everyone has a different experience!
Thank you for sharing your experience, I’m so glad you and others haven’t had anything to complain of! I had seen other reviews that were very positive, but I was unaware of the extra chick per order. If it’s possible to have them not send an extra then maybe I can try them out. As mentioned above, I’m hoping for one of each breed and only girls, so an extra chick isn’t really desirable.

We got three Bielefelders I raised up for my brother from there, and I had good luck with my Australorps, though they are mostly not the best quality. Of the 5 BA pullets I got last year, there's only one I plan to breed. We did have a mix up from there too, but it hasn't all been bad. If someone is not worried about having show quality birds, it can be fine. And it's definitely nice not having to pay those small order shipping fees!

But it's true, it really varies from one location to the next. I'd like to think they try to have at least one resident chicken person in each location, but that's probably not even the case lol. It can for sure be hit and miss, but the more informed someone is about what they are looking for, it can go a bit better that way.
I am glad you didn't have any problems with your birds, but I can't say so for my many experiences with Tractor Supply.

For starters:
  • We ordered ten sexed pullet California Grays and only five of them turned out to be California Grays. The others were mixes, and one was a cockerel who turned into the most aggressive rooster.
  • I purchased three Buff Orpingtons, and one turned out to be a Delaware who is of poor quality in her appearance, and her eggs are not chocolate.
  • I got three Speckled Sussex premium pullets from Tractor Supply, and one became a premium cockerel. I learned from BackYard Chickens that Tractor Supply sells some of their straight runs as "premium pullets" to rid of the cockerels.
  • Once, I went to Tractor Supply and saw one of the many mix-ups I have seen, but worse: Cornish Cross in the bantam bin. We asked an employee why they were there, and they said that those were Buff Orpingtons. I looked in the Buff Orpington bin and compared them, and the others were definitely Cornish Cross. Still, even Buff Orpingtons shouldn't belong in the bantam bin.
  • I saw two ducklings in the Brahma bin. You heard me right, that's a species mix-up.
  • A week ago, I saw all of the chicks in the Brahma bin have severe cases of pasty butt. I wouldn't doubt it if those chicks did not make it.

Last edited:
I am glad you didn't have any problems with your birds, but I can't say so for my many experiences with Tractor Supply.

For starters:
  • We ordered ten sexed pullet California Grays and only five of them turned out to be California Grays. The others were mixes, and one was a cockerel who turned into the most aggressive rooster.
  • I purchased three Buff Orpingtons, and one turned out to be a Delaware who is of poor quality in her appearance, and her eggs are not chocolate.
  • I got three Speckled Sussex premium pullets from Tractor Supply, and one became a premium cockerel. I learned from BackYard Chickens that Tractor Supply sells some of their straight runs as "premium pullets" to rid of the cockerels.
  • Once, I went to Tractor Supply and saw one of the many mix-ups I have seen, but worse: Cornish Cross in the bantam bin. We asked an employee why they were there, and they said that those were Buff Orpingtons. I looked in the Buff Orpington bin and compared them, and the others were definitely Cornish Cross. Still, even Buff Orpingtons shouldn't belong in the bantam bin.
  • I saw two ducklings in the Brahma bin. You heard me right, that's a species mix-up.
  • A week ago, I saw all of the chicks in the Brahma bin have severe cases of pasty butt. I wouldn't doubt it if those chicks did not make it. I heard on BackYard Chickens that Tractor Supply constipates the larger breeds with "special medicine" so they don't have to pick up all of the poop.
Okay, that last bit is not true. That's just a ridiculous rumor and I remember seeing that thread where the lady walked it back. Please try not to spread misinformation like that. I don't believe they are intentionally mistreating or being cruel to the animals.

Yes, there are mix-ups. But much of what you are describing comes down to being an informed consumer. I hope most people can tell a duckling from a chick. I have seen where the sign says premium pullets, but then the smaller print says they are not sexed, so that is misleading, but you need to be careful and aware. I don't like seeing how they combine the bins sometimes with potentially quite similar looking breeds mixed together, like speckled Sussex premium pullet straight run, with starlight green eggers. That is the store management's fault for putting them in the same bin, thus making them harder to tell apart. Ducks in a chicken bin doesn't bother me, because that is obvious. Consumers just need to know what they are looking at and not fall into the cuteness trap. The only time I got an accidental cockerel with what were supposed to be pullets, the manager gave me the whole order for free, so I can't really complain about that, in terms of their willingness to make it right.

Okay, that last bit is not true. That's just a ridiculous rumor and I remember seeing that thread where the lady walked it back. Please try not to spread misinformation like that. I don't believe they are intentionally mistreating or being cruel to the animals.

Yes, there are mix-ups. But much of what you are describing comes down to being an informed consumer. I hope most people can tell a duckling from a chick. I have seen where the sign says premium pullets, but then the smaller print says they are not sexed, so that is misleading, but you need to be careful and aware. I don't like seeing how they combine the bins sometimes with potentially quite similar looking breeds mixed together, like speckled Sussex premium pullet straight run, with starlight green eggers. That is the store management's fault for putting them in the same bin, thus making them harder to tell apart. Ducks in a chicken bin doesn't bother me, because that is obvious. Consumers just need to know what they are looking at and not fall into the cuteness trap. The only time I got an accidental cockerel with what were supposed to be pullets, the manager gave me the whole order for free, so I can't really complain about that, in terms of their willingness to make it right.
I wasn't aware that is not true, sorry! I edited my comment. I agree that customers need to be careful from where they buy chicks. The average person believes that it doesn't matter where they get their first chicks from.

Back
Top Bottom