Looking for breed recommendations to add to our flock of 5

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
We currently have a Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red & Black Australorp. We’d like to add two more to the flock of different breeds. A couple that we are considering are Lavender Orpington & Barred Rock. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 170
We currently have a Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red & Black Australorp. We’d like to add two more to the flock of different breeds. A couple that we are considering are Lavender Orpington & Barred Rock. Any thoughts?
Those are great breeds! Also enjoy Bielefelders, Marans, Welsummer, and Easter Eggers. Will they be chicks or full sized?

If you want to add diversity in your egg basket as well as the appearance of the flock, you could get a Cream Crested Legbar, and a blue variety of Marans if your store offers them. The first will give you a blue egg, the second will give you a darker brown egg. If you get a Blue Cuckoo Marans it will likely have a less dark brown egg than a Blue Copper Marans, but it and the CCL will have a higher chance of actually being female because they are autosexing breeds. I plan to add a CCL to my flock next, and I absolutely adore my Blue Cuckoo Marans, she’s a sweetie! ❤️

I personally think Party_Chicken makes a compelling argument about adding three chicks instead of two, and I think a Barred Rock (also autosexing) would be a very pretty addition to your mixed flock’s coloring. Hopefully all your chicks survive and are girls, but it’s best to hedge your bets, in my opinion.

You shouldn't add more birds to your flock because of stress factors, but if you do decide to keep more, then I would suggest getting all of the breeds @Iluveggers suggested. They are wonderful breeds, and my Marans and Easter Eggers are so sweet. I wish I could have Bielefelders, but the price would be too much. Cochins would be a nice addition as well, but you have to take their nasty feet into consideration!

You shouldn't add more birds to your flock because of stress factors, but if you do decide to keep more, then I would suggest getting all of the breeds @Iluveggers suggested. They are wonderful breeds, and my Marans and Easter Eggers are so sweet. I wish I could have Bielefelders, but the price would be too much. Cochins would be a nice addition as well, but you have to take their nasty feet into consideration!
What in your opinion is the smallest amount of birds you should add to an existing flock at one time, @SwampPrincessChick? I was considering adding 3 at a time every few years to keep the egg production at a level my family can consume, until I reach about a dozen birds. Is that going to be too difficult on the new chicks and the flock? The greater good is my birds’ well-being, rather than wasting eggs. Should I just buy 8 more chicks in one go to spare my current 4 too much stress? If so, how soon should I do so? My girls are only 2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom