Name ideas and ideas of what they would look like

RiDaGeckoGuy

Songster
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh county, OK
I need name ideas for chickens I have 2 roosters and 8 hens I will list breeds below so far I have collected 8 eggs most barred rock and buff Orpington but one maran. My Easter egger is trying to lay and her babies will be olive eggers since she only lets my maran mount her and hates my Orpington roo. I will incubate Monday so there is a big variety I’ll get I’m on day two of collecting and leaving them unwashed on the counter. Here are the breeds and some egg pictures.

2 Barred Plymouth Rock hens, both laying, Sarah, 39 weeks old, and Hocus Pocus around 147 weeks

1 Dominque pullet, laying, Winifred, 39 weeks

1 Black Copper Maran rooster, mating, Hei Hei, 35 weeks old

1 Easter Egger pullet, laying, Jelly Bean, 35 weeks old

1 Lavender Orpington Roo, mating, Foghorn, 42 weeks old

1 Black copper Maran pullet, laying, Chungus, 42 weeks old

1 BCM mix pullet, laying, mother clucker,42 weeks old

1 Buff Orpington pullet, laying, Mrs. Priss, 39 weeks

1 Speckled Sussex pullet, laying, Mae, 39 weeks.

48B3C577-8238-41B3-920E-2F7D209D8920.jpeg

Rooster name ideas:
Han Solo
Falcon
Captain Crunch
Pepito Chickeeto
Aragon

Pullett name ideas:
Rose
Sage
Willow
Pickles
Onion
Hershey
Frizzy Izzy
Sherbert
Starburst
Star
Nutella
Honey
Henrietta
Hen Solo
Egg Nog
Kiwi
Crisco
Scarlet
Snowball

I'll attach a few screenshots that I've taken with more name ideas

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220813-164648_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-164648_Chrome.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20220813-165257_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-165257_Google.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3
Predictions for chick colors and a few other traits:

From hens with single combs, all chicks should have single combs.
From hens with non-single combs, chicks may inherit their mother's comb type or may have single combs. (The Dominique should have a rose comb, and I don't know what comb type the Easter Egger has. All the rest should have single combs.)

If any parent has feathered feet, their chicks may show that too. (Marans rooster or hen are the most likely to have that.) Two chickens with clean legs (no feathers on the feet or shanks) should mostly produce clean-legged chicks, although chicks with a few feathers do sometimes come from clean-legged parents.

For egg color, with those roosters: any pullet who hatches from a brown egg, should grow up to lay brown eggs. Pullets who hatch from blue or green eggs may grow up to lay green eggs, or they may grow up to lay brown eggs (it depends on what genes the mother has that she can give them.) Pullets with a Marans father will probably lay darker eggs (dark brown, dark green = olive), while pullets with a Lavender Orpington father will probably lay lighter eggs (light to medium brown, light to medium green). Of course cockerels don't lay eggs, but they will have the same egg-color genes as their sisters do.

2 Barred Plymouth Rock hens, both laying, Sarah, 39 weeks old, and Hocus Pocus around 147 weeks

1 Dominque pullet, laying, Winifred, 39 weeks
For both of these hen types, with either rooster, sons will be black with white barring, daughters will be black with no white barring. At hatch, all chicks will look like little penguins (black with white or yellow on the underside), but the males will also have a yellow or white spot on the top of their head.

As they grow up, the chicks with a Marans father may show some leakage of other colors (like red in hen's breasts or rooster's shoulders). Chicks with the Lavender Orpington father will probably not show leakage like this.

Chicks with the Dominique mother may have rose combs, but she may also be able to produce chicks with single combs.

1 Easter Egger pullet, laying, Jelly Bean, 35 weeks old
I don't know what color and other traits the Easter Egger has, so I can't easily predict what the chicks will have.

Comb type, crest on the head, muff/beard on the face, feathered feet: for each of these traits that she has, her chicks have a chance of showing it too.

1 Black copper Maran pullet, laying, Chungus, 42 weeks old
With the Black Copper Marans rooster, of course her chicks will be pure Black Copper Marans.

With the Lavender Orpington rooster, chicks should be black. They may show a bit of color leakage as they grow up (red/gold or white/silver in various places.)

1 BCM mix pullet, laying, mother clucker,42 weeks old
She could produce chicks that look the same as the ones from the pure Marans pullet, or she might produce different-looking ones depending on what other genes she's got.

1 Buff Orpington pullet, laying, Mrs. Priss, 39 weeks
With the Black Copper Marans rooster, chicks are likely to show a lot of black when they hatch, but grow up to be black with very large amounts of gold leakage (sometimes that means the front half is gold and the back half is black.)

With the Lavender Orpington rooster, chicks may look like the ones from the Black Copper Marans rooster, or they may show white/silver leakage instead of the gold leakage (so they might have large amounts of black on the back half and large amounts of white on the front half.)

With either rooster, there is a chance of chicks that have the black turned into white (some Buff Orpingtons have a gene that causes this, and some do not.)

1 Speckled Sussex pullet, laying, Mae, 39 weeks.
With the Black Copper Marans rooster, chicks will probably look similar to a Black Copper Marans but with more red/copper color and a bit less black. They should not show speckles like their mother the Sussex.

With the Lavender Orpington rooster, chicks should be mostly black, but may show some leakage as they grow up (red/gold or white/silver leakage are possible, mostly in the breasts of hens and the shoulders of roosters.)

I don't know what color and other traits the Easter Egger has, so I can't easily predict what the chicks will have.

Comb type, crest on the head, muff/beard on the face, feathered feet: for each of these traits that she has, her chicks have a chance of showing it too.
She has more muff than beard, No feathers on her feet, she is blue with tiny gold/red neck splashes she lays sky blue eggs and has a pea comb

Attachments

• 052F00A7-3239-46D0-9F16-910CA54A0F6F.jpeg
    052F00A7-3239-46D0-9F16-910CA54A0F6F.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 5
For this Marans-mix pullet:

With the Black Copper Marans rooster, she could produce Marans-colored chicks or black chicks. Any black chicks have a good chance of some red/copper leakage as they grow up.

With the Lavender Orpington father, chicks will probably be black, but may have some leakage as they grow up (leakage could be red/copper/gold, or could be silver/white.)

She has some feathers on her feet, so her chicks might have some as well. Chicks with two feather-foot parents (her and maybe the Marans rooster) will tend to have more feathers on the feet, as compared with chicks who have just one feather-foot parent (her with Lavender Orpington rooster, or clean foot hen with a Marans father if he has feathered feet.)

She has more muff than beard, No feathers on her feet, she is blue with tiny gold/red neck splashes she lays sky blue eggs and has a pea comb
For this Easter Egger pullet:

Muff/beard are caused by the same basic gene, with various modifiers. Either half or all of this pullet's chicks should show muff and/or beard. The exact shape and fullness will depend on which modifying genes they inherit from her and from their father, but there is no good way to predict that.

Half of her chicks should show blue, the other half should show black. (The blue gene changes all black on a chicken into blue. She has one copy of the gene, so she will give it to half her chicks. The other half of her chicks will have the not-blue gene, so they will show black and not blue.)

Chicks with the lavender Orpington father are likely to be almost completely black or blue, but still have a chance of red/gold/silver leakage as they grow up.
Chicks with the Black Copper Marans father are likely to have large amounts of black or blue, but will probably show a fair bit of red/copper/gold color as they grow up (similar amount to what is visible on this pullet or on a Black Copper Marans, or possibly more than ie

Half of her chicks should lay green eggs (dark green/olive with the Marans father, lighter green with the Orpington father.) The other half may also lay green eggs, or they may lay brown eggs (darker brown with the Marans father, lighter brown with the Orpington father.)

Half of her chicks will have a pea comb. The other half might also have a pea comb, or might have a single comb.

If you get even one blue chick with a single comb, you will know she can produce chicks with a single comb (because she will be the only hen producing blue chicks.) If you get even one brown-laying pullet that is blue, or has a pea comb, you will know that this pullet is able to produce daughters that lay brown eggs (because she will be the only hen producing blue chicks or pea-comb chicks.)

For pea comb and green eggs: either 100% of chicks or 50% of chicks are the expected ratios for each trait.

Update my dog killed mae mother clucker and hocus pocus but I got some of their eggs and idk about Mae hocus and mother clucker have chicks here are the lavender/buff orps and the olive eggers
7F9CB82C-1F6F-4804-9BC4-E2BA00960D39.jpeg
B2B90C42-4B55-445B-B4B3-E8C7F0881896.jpeg
C55A8387-F280-411A-ADC1-62777DF7FA13.jpeg
51C50DA7-4E75-4A10-954F-93435208CF13.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom