What silkie mixes make the prettiest babies

RiDaGeckoGuy

Songster
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh county, OK
Ok this is my second post but I want to know what hens I could get my blue silkie roo to make beautiful babies. They need to be normal sized hens so my lavender orp doesn’t hurt them while mating. I have a list of my current flock below and I’m getting 3 more marans and 2 more EEs but I still need to pick 4 different hens to cross with my silkie roo.

2 Barred Plymouth Rock hens, both laying, Sarah, 28 weeks old, and Hocus Pocus around 2 years

1 Dominque pullet, laying, Winifred, 28 weeks

1 Black Copper Maran rooster, not mating, Hei Hei, 24 weeks old

1 Blue Silkie rooster, not mating, Niblet, 24 weeks old

1 Easter Egger pullet, not laying, Jelly Bean, 24 weeks old

1 Lavender Orpington Roo, mating, Foghorn, 31 weeks old

2 Black copper Maran pullet, Mother clucker laying Chungus not laying, Mother Clucker and Chungus, both 31 weeks old

1 Buff Orpington pullet, not laying, Mrs. Priss, 28 weeks

1 Speckled Sussex pullet, not laying, Mae, 28 weeks.

I don't know about different breeds mixing with a silkie, but if you want to consider what color chicks you'll end up with by breeding a blue silkie to another color chicken, here's what you'd get:

Blue x Blue = 25% splash, 25% black, 50% blue
Black x Blue = 50% Black, 50% Blue
Splash x Blue = 50% Splash, 50% Blue
Blue x Chocolate = Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Mauve x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Chocolate Splash pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, Splash split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

I would take some of this with a grain of salt unless you have birds that are a definite color above.

I don't know about different breeds mixing with a silkie, but if you want to consider what color chicks you'll end up with by breeding a blue silkie to another color chicken, here's what you'd get:

Blue x Blue = 25% splash, 25% black, 50% blue
Black x Blue = 50% Black, 50% Blue
Splash x Blue = 50% Splash, 50% Blue
Blue x Chocolate = Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Mauve x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Chocolate Splash pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, Splash split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

I would take some of this with a grain of salt unless you have birds that are a definite color above.
I can’t own silkie hens but if I ever have the money to build a silkie coop this will be helpful. I made this post because I found out my lavender Orpington can break a silkie hens back while mating so all I have is a silkie rooster.

Back
Top Bottom