Looking for Breeders in the north east area of texas: Longview, Tyler, etc

Howdy and welcome!!

It would probably help if you delineated your breed interests a little more. Large fowl? Bantams? Which breeds?? Strictly for egg-laying or dual-purpose??

Have had GOOD health/vitality experience with Ideal Hatchery. However, if you really want to breed true to blood lines you will need several generations as hatchery stock may include errors/mixes etc. There are sale barns in the area...prices will be higher at the sale barns than at hatcheries. The only ppl allowed to sell at the sale barns are NPIP-certified.

If you want to go with a strong, fast start, you will pay more for stock from an NPIP-certified breeder. |

If it's more a hobby and you are willing to devote more time to it you can either use hatchery stock (which are also clean and NPIP disease-free but may not be strongly true to blood lines) and breed them through several generations or ... you could work informally with local breeders. A lot depends on which breeds that you have interest.

By the way, I am NOT a breeder although I'm in this general geographic area and take care of chickens. Have a barnyard egg-laying flock....

I don't think many ETX breeders are on this particular forum. One of the reasons is that dial-up connections are still common out here in the Piney Woods and all the javascript that this site now has makes connections VERY slow and almost impossible in rural communities.

A number of breeders hang out on C'list which is more simple for dial-up connections (think RURAL) or at the Canton Trade Days.

Now, I can't vouch for quality especially reference Canton First Monday because in my experience some sellers are definitely better than others. I've picked up some wonderful Ameraucana pullets that are now SUPER layers from a VERY nice lady in Canton....but.....you've also really got to inspect the poultry that you're thinking about purchasing for stuff like de-beaking. If the chooks are debeaked they can't eat properly and can't mature properly either. (learned THAT one last year!!)

So well good luck. I think there's an annual poultry show or two in the fall in ETX but I don't know of anything in the Spring.

Glad we have RAIN!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom