Looking for cheap eggs for incubator experience

Feath3rDust3r

Songster
Mar 16, 2019
Altoona, IA
We would like to try out our new incubator but as far as i can see hatcheries are selling their eggs for the same price as a day old chick...which doesn't make sense as you may not get all your eggs hatch!

If anyone has some cheap eggs we can practice on i'd be grateful. I don't care what breed but i would prefer that they come from both parents of the same breed. I don't want a bunch of cross breed pullets.

If anyone has some cheap eggs we can practice on i'd be grateful.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Hatching can be so much fun! :wee

We eat our extra boys here. :drool

Check out your local Craigslist farm and garden section or place your own ad there. While I usually have fertile eggs, I don't try to sell them but might respond and ad requesting them. Just for informational purposes... I normally see barnyard mix eggs going for $10 dozen. I think finding purebred hatching eggs for under $25 would be difficult in my area. Mine sell for $65.

Some folks have successfully hatched eggs from Trader Joes. And stopping by any of the roadside farms that sell eggs... they might just happen to be fertile even if not being sold for hatching. My feed store often carries eggs for sell from locals for $4 dozen, not sure if fertile... but betting some are! :fl

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Best wishes and happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

ETA: I don't many do check ebay for hatching eggs. And I'm with you on why do they charge just as much for hatching eggs as for chicks that get a live guarantee and even sexed! :duc

Last edited:
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Hatching can be so much fun! :wee

We eat our extra boys here. :drool

Check out your local Craigslist farm and garden section or place your own ad there. While I usually have fertile eggs, I don't try to sell them but might respond and ad requesting them. Just for informational purposes... I normally see barnyard mix eggs going for $10 dozen. I think finding purebred hatching eggs for under $25 would be difficult in my area. Mine sell for $65.

Some folks have successfully hatched eggs from Trader Joes. And stopping by any of the roadside farms that sell eggs... they might just happen to be fertile even if not being sold for hatching. My feed store often carries eggs for sell from locals for $4 dozen, not sure if fertile... but betting some are! :fl

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Best wishes and happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy
Your prices to me are normal. You get what you're paying for.

I rarely see purebred eggs for less than $25 usually they're $40 for a dozen locally.

We’re do you live I have pet quality silkies get back for price if interested I’m in CA
Shipping without NPIP is illegal and Ca has portions that under quarantine for virulent New Castle disease. No shipping into or out of that zone... millions of birds have been euthanized in southern California and it's NO laughing matter.

Folks PLEASE take this seriously! :barnie

If you know of someone shipping illegally... don't be the receiver and protect our rights to keep back yard flocks and report them! ;)

Shipping without NPIP is illegal and Ca has portions that under quarantine for virulent New Castle disease. No shipping into or out of that zone... millions of birds have been euthanized in southern California and it's NO laughing matter.

Folks PLEASE take this seriously! :barnie

If you know of someone shipping illegally... don't be the receiver and protect our rights to keep back yard flocks and report them! ;)
Just saying and not laughing. I am out of quarantine in Tulare area and don’t ship.

Just saying and not laughing. I am out of quarantine in Tulare area and don’t ship.
It was meant as informational for the whole thread. Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out. :oops:

I used to live in Visalia, so very familiar with Tulare county. Glad you were spared that unfortunate outbreak and incident!

Sounded like you were willing to share your Silkie hatching eggs with our community members, which is great. :highfive: I just encourage all folks to familiarize themselves with the ins, the out, and the law.. and protect themselves and their flocks as well as others and our rights to keep poultry. :)

It was meant as informational for the whole thread. Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out. :oops:

I used to live in Visalia, so very familiar with Tulare county. Glad you were spared that unfortunate outbreak and incident!

Sounded like you were willing to share your Silkie hatching eggs with our community members, which is great. :highfive: I just encourage all folks to familiarize themselves with the ins, the out, and the law.. and protect themselves and their flocks as well as others and our rights to keep poultry. :)
Sorry so late at answering it’s fine. Just wasn’t sure. I am glad about not having sick birds also. I understand that and agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom