Looking for cheap plucker part sources...

the_great_snag

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Staples, Minnesota
Hey everyone,

I have recently had to quit my job due to health reasons and am looking to start raising meat birds on a larger scale to help supplement our family income.

My brother-in-law has a whizbang plucker that he built a couple years ago that works excellent, but we have since moved away to our own farm and he is no longer close enough to lend it to us.

Anyway, I am looking for any ideas on where to source a motor, bearings, etc. that won't break the bank. Also, does anyone have any ideas on where to get plastic barrels?

Thanks,

Ray

Well so far I have found a couple cheap plastic barrels. I was intending to use steel, but these will be easier to work with, considering most of my tools are woodworking tools.

I also found a seller on Amazon who sells 200 C25 fingers for $98. I'm planning to design a couple other smaller machines so the extra fingers will be handy, or I could go all out and design it for game birds as well.

Anyway, my idea right now is to use a 3/4 horsepower motor with a 56C flange, mounted to a 10:1 gear reducer, and mounting the feather plate directly to the output shaft. I have found a couple cheap sources for these part.

I will post more as I go on, but it will have to happen as I get my hands on the funds. :) My eventual goal is to come up with a cheap easy design that is easily repeated so I can help others build them too.

I would think you could find a local dairy plant, brewery, or food processor, you would find they have tons of barrels left from their chemical use for their sanitation cycles. Obviously, you would want to have it washed out before anything, but they are heavy duty CPVC type plastic, and durable as all get out.

While you are there, you could inquire if they had old 110V motors they wanted to scrap (but can't because of teh oil content), and that you would be interested in one for a small price. Lots of places like that would be happy to be rid of their "trash" and your treasure.

Back
Top Bottom