Looking for chicks in Central Ky!

TubbyChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Kentucky
smile.png
I'll be in the area this weekend and hope to find some chicks while I'm there...

What type are you looking for and which part of Central KY ? I'm in South Central KY, in Adair county, and I hatched out 10 chicks yesterday and I have 6 one week olds, also. They are mixed chicks, though not pure bred.

Most of them are dual purpose birds - Delaware roo over light Brahmas hens. The others are OEG roo over Barred Rock, black Australorp, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. The dellie/brahma cross chicks are big babies.

I'm asking 2 bucks each for them. PM me if ya want to see some pics.

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

What type are you looking for and which part of Central KY ? I'm in South Central KY, in Adair county, and I hatched out 10 chicks yesterday and I have 6 one week olds, also. They are mixed chicks, though not pure bred.

Most of them are dual purpose birds - Delaware roo over light Brahmas hens. The others are OEG roo over Barred Rock, black Australorp, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. The dellie/brahma cross chicks are big babies.

I'm asking 2 bucks each for them. PM me if ya want to see some pics.

meri

I'll be in Lexington...How far are you from there? I'm looking for some layers, I prefer purebreds but I don't mind interesting mixes as well!
smile.png

I'm probably a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from Lexington. I'm down in Columbia near the Metcalfe county line.

But....
big_smile.png
ChknLvnFam is coming down Saturday to get some duckies, and if you could hook up with him, he could bring ya some chicks, maybe (not to volunteer him
lau.gif
but I doubt he would mind - they're small and don't take up much space.) He lives up by there.

Ok, I found some pics - and I tried to take new ones, but the camera batteries are dying on me, and half didn't take.

The older batch (as babies and one taken today)--

18b5defc.jpg

c6d8fd7c.jpg

47f753e7.jpg

The newest babies (pardon the poo - need to clean the brooder today)

f272998e.jpg

e8a623e7.jpg

The two banties in the first group of chicks aren't for sale, I'm keeping them (they are the little silver chipmunk and the pure white who are on the feed dish in the first pic.)

eta - the two brownish looking ones (older chicks) might be out of my easter egger girl (mixed with oeg) but she lays pinkish eggs, not blue or green.

eta again - the older chicks are a bit older than I thought - 2 weeks, probably (would have to check my notes)

meri

Last edited:
matt y. :

Deleware/brahma hmmm....Thos would be colored like delewares, have pea combs and might have some feathers on the leg? Interesting.

I am keeping an older one I hatched, for myself, I can take pics of her if ya want - she is beautiful, IMO
big_smile.png

she is more delaware colored, has feathered legs (not heavy feathering) and is very outgoing and friendly - of course, that may be because she is still inside and we've petted her every time we go into the room
lau.gif
I am hoping she'll have the pea comb - that is so much nicer for cold weather.

She's about 6 weeks old so she is past the part feather/ part fluffy stage.

Some of the early chicks I hatched had more dark feathering on their backs - but almost all of them I've hatched lately have been lighter - more Dellie coloring. Both parents were hatchery stock, so not show quality, but the Roo (Dellaware) is a huge boy, and nice conformation. The girls (Brahmas) are all very friendly ladies, and pretty, if not exactly true to form.

I have on order some delaware pullets, and I am getting some more brahmas this next week, so I can split the two up and have two pure flocks, dellies and brahmas this fall. I sort of prefer the mutts, for growth and hardiness, but most other folks prefer pure bred, so that's what I'll be doing (for selling purposes).

let me know if ya want to see a pic of an older pullet chick from the same parent stock.

meri​

Ok, got some pics - this is Fluffy (
lau.gif
she thinks she's a puppy dog) she was hatched Jan. 30, 2009

eta - she's much more beautiful in person.

a0098b64.jpg

5455b250.jpg

0c647873.jpg

bd6d1d2d.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom