Looking for cities in Indiana that allow chickens in the city limits

Quote:
Here is your zoning quide:

http://www.cityofanderson.com/municipal/documents/zoningguide2008.pdf

An excerpt:

LIVESTOCK: All domestic animals, except dogs, cats and small exotic birds, whether kept as pets or for
commercial or agricultural purposes. This definition shall include all species of cattle, horses, mules, swine, sheep,
goats, chickens, ducks, and all animals of the bovine, equine, ovine, caprine, porcine, and avian species. The
keeping of livestock is prohibited in all zone districts within the City.

Indianapolis. What of Indianapolis? I did some research and found that Sec. 531-104 and 105 prohibit keeping "swine, a horse, pony, mule, donkey, jackass, or llama." Chickens are not listed.

But wanting to be sure the Indianapolis city powers agree, and hoping to help avoid having a number of citizens individually trying to get answers, I checked with Jackie Nytes, my City County Councillor. She in turn checked with City Legal. Chris Cotterill, head of the Office of Corporation Counsel and a busy man, wrote back:

Councillor,

Ms. Oddi is correct that the City does not prohibit an individual from owning chickens. There are several provisions in the Revised Code, however, that limit the effect that these chickens could have on surrounding properties.

Chapter 531 of the Revised Code does not expressly address chickens. While certain types of livestock (swine, horses, donkeys, etc.) may only be kept upon compliance with certain conditions, there are no qualifications to owning a chicken. Because Chapter 531 does apply to all animals, however, the owner of a chicken would need to ensure that the animal is kept in compliance with that chapter. For instance, a chicken would need to be kept confined. Further, an owner would need to provide proper food, water, shelter with ventilation, and veterinarian care. Also, if the chicken was responsible for habitual or frequent vocalizations that would cause serious annoyance or disturbance to people in the vicinity, it could be declared a nuisance.

[Re a concern I expressed about zoning] On a residential property, the dwelling is considered that property’s primary use. Having chickens in this situation would be analogous to owning any other type of pet, which is not regulated by the zoning ordinances. If ownership of these chickens, however, turned into a more substantial (not incidental to the primary use) or commercial operation, the property owner could then be found in violation for a non-permitted accessory use or non-permitted home occupation.

Any construction associated with a chicken coop could also be subject to enforcement by the City. If a coop were more than 120 square feet, it would require an Improvement Location Permit. Depending on the type of coop built, a building or electrical permit could also be required. Moreover, a coop could also be subject to various development standards regarding side and rear yard setbacks.

In short, the limited type of chicken ownership described below would most likely be permitted in a dwelling district. Any person wishing to own a chicken, however, should be advised that the provisions of Chapter 531 will apply to them. Should you have any further questions regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I will ask Adam Collins of our office to assist, as he has just now become an expert on City/Chicken issues to help me with this.

I would consider this the definitive answer for Indianapolis. Thanks to all.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

That's good stuff. Imagine that, city officials giving you their best legal interpretation without dressing it up in personal opinions and ignorant comments.

Hello! I'm not sure exactly when this question was first posted, but I was just researching having chickens in Frankfort, Indiana and I can't find that they are prohibited. What I did find was this ordinance, "It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to keep any cow, calf, heifer, bull, steer, hog, boar, sow, barrow, pig, horse, pony, mule, jackass, goat, sheep, lamb, or any other animal of these species at any time within the corporate limits of the city. Except for mobile transportation along city streets and also confinement or for show in the county fairgrounds. ('75 Code, § 41.04) (Ord. 85-5, passed 5-28-85) Penalty, see § 90.99". Since there is no mention of chickens- and I can't find them listed or allueded to in any other ordinance- does this mean they are legal?

Hello, I live in Frankfort indiana also and am willing to join in on freeing our town to provide our own food! :)
First question is HOW LOL!

Yes, Evansville does allow chickens in the city limits. You have to make sure your coop and run are at least 40 feet away from your neighbors dwelling, you have to apply for a permit that is $5 and you can have up to 6 chickens. You have to have your coop inspected and it measured to your neighbors dwelling. It doesn't take long for the process of this. Out of the city limits you can have as many chickens as you want to have with no permit and all.

Back
Top Bottom