Looking for cities in Indiana that allow chickens in the city limits

ragingbull40s

Hatching
10 Years
May 29, 2009
frankfort, in
I live in Frankfort, IN and it is against the law to have chickens. I want to change that. So, I am looking for cities in Indiana that permit chickens to use as reference points in my fight. If you know of cities in Indiana that allow chickens, please let me know.

Thanks

John

Indianapolis. What of Indianapolis? I did some research and found that Sec. 531-104 and 105 prohibit keeping "swine, a horse, pony, mule, donkey, jackass, or llama." Chickens are not listed.

But wanting to be sure the Indianapolis city powers agree, and hoping to help avoid having a number of citizens individually trying to get answers, I checked with Jackie Nytes, my City County Councillor. She in turn checked with City Legal. Chris Cotterill, head of the Office of Corporation Counsel and a busy man, wrote back:

Councillor,

Ms. Oddi is correct that the City does not prohibit an individual from owning chickens. There are several provisions in the Revised Code, however, that limit the effect that these chickens could have on surrounding properties.

Chapter 531 of the Revised Code does not expressly address chickens. While certain types of livestock (swine, horses, donkeys, etc.) may only be kept upon compliance with certain conditions, there are no qualifications to owning a chicken. Because Chapter 531 does apply to all animals, however, the owner of a chicken would need to ensure that the animal is kept in compliance with that chapter. For instance, a chicken would need to be kept confined. Further, an owner would need to provide proper food, water, shelter with ventilation, and veterinarian care. Also, if the chicken was responsible for habitual or frequent vocalizations that would cause serious annoyance or disturbance to people in the vicinity, it could be declared a nuisance.

[Re a concern I expressed about zoning] On a residential property, the dwelling is considered that property’s primary use. Having chickens in this situation would be analogous to owning any other type of pet, which is not regulated by the zoning ordinances. If ownership of these chickens, however, turned into a more substantial (not incidental to the primary use) or commercial operation, the property owner could then be found in violation for a non-permitted accessory use or non-permitted home occupation.

Any construction associated with a chicken coop could also be subject to enforcement by the City. If a coop were more than 120 square feet, it would require an Improvement Location Permit. Depending on the type of coop built, a building or electrical permit could also be required. Moreover, a coop could also be subject to various development standards regarding side and rear yard setbacks.

In short, the limited type of chicken ownership described below would most likely be permitted in a dwelling district. Any person wishing to own a chicken, however, should be advised that the provisions of Chapter 531 will apply to them. Should you have any further questions regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I will ask Adam Collins of our office to assist, as he has just now become an expert on City/Chicken issues to help me with this.

I would consider this the definitive answer for Indianapolis. Thanks to all.

welcome-byc.gif
hello! I'm from Southern Indiana. (Evansville) where are you in Indiana? I'm not sure if E'ville allows chickens, I kinda live right across the street from city limits so. My mom lives in Cynthiana, In. which is a little city, she's surrounded by farmland, and they won't let her have chickens. I would do it anyway.. but thats just me. try not to get caught... Do you have very many or close neighbors? You may be able to get away with a few hens. IDK?

I will do some research, and get back with you... I meant earlier, if I was my mom, with no neighbors, I get chickens... Don't do anything illegal
smile.png

The Evansville Backyard Poultry Meet up Group …
Is for people who have or are interested in small backyard flocks of chickens for pets, eggs, or meat.

We welcome everyone that has a small backyard flock of chickens, and those that are interested in getting started raising a small backyard flock of chickens.

We get together once a month at our "Let's Talk Chicken Over Chicken" meetings at a local restaurant.

If your interested e-mail me or Twitter - @CityChicken05
Also join our Facebook page.

Love to have new friends and members even if you can't make the meetings.
Thanks'

D.gif
You should come to our first backyard chicken get together. It is for people interested in or who have back yard chickens. We will meet first Wednesday of each month starting in July 1st at Noble Romans Pizza on Washington ave in Evansville. We will meet once a month to discuss chickens, laws, coops, care anything anyone suggest.

You can reach me to RSVP or more details @ 812-454-6518 or [email protected] or just google "Evansville Backyard Chickens"(this is free its just for fun and you might learn something new!

Watch for a story on this new group on News 25 WEHT next week and Evansville living magazine!

We only have a few signed up so far so help spread our message tell friends and family about us Thanks
frow.gif

Last edited:
hello i am new to this site and to raising chickens i live in muncie does anyone know if they are legal here or will i have to get rid of them i have 5 chickens and my son raised them all he is disabled and would be devastated if we had to get rid of them thank you for your help Susan:D

My sister used to live in Paoli IN (southeastern) and had a place in the center of town. Her son kept a flock in their backyard, with no problems. I assume they were legal as my sister had a business onsite, and is very good at following the rules...

Back
Top Bottom