Looking for Comfrey Plants

Dawn419

Lost in the Woods
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Evening Shade, AR
I've tried starting Comfrey from seed with no luck, what-so-ever, so plants are needed for my rabbits and future chickens. (Babies will be here in 2 weks! Woo Hoo!)

Anyone want to do a plant trade?

I have Irises, Daylilies, Cannas, Penstemon, Red Hot Pokers, Pineapple Lillies, Double Pearl Tuberose, Hoyas, so on and so forth!

Thanks in advance!

Dawn

I have a friend who grows it. She planted it from seed and it took right off. Its actually quite invasive now. She feeds it to her geese and chickens. Its high in protein right? I live away from home now so I don't think I could get any for you but good luck.

Dawn419...Shy Valley Farm might ship to you. www.shyvalley.com
It is located in Fall Branch, TN (close to Kingsport)...so that might be farther than you'd like to drive. It's possible they know of a source closer to you.
Stephanie

Hi

I have lots of comfrey coming up all over the garden. E-mail me with your address and I'd be happy to send you some roots. Once it gets going there's no stopping it!

chickenmama
mama to five little kids along with 3 Wyandottes, 2 Comets and 2 Barred Rocks (all chicks and everyone thriving!)

[email protected]

It is mentioned in Backyard Poultry, Naturally by Alanna Moore. I haven't used comfrey before because I remember reading somewhere else it contains alkaloids that can be toxic to the liver, warning people taking it as a supplement.
However...the author states the greatest concentrations are found in the root and she is using the leaf as a tonic food, as a poultice, and as a cure for digestive disorders. Ms. Moore also uses it in an anti-worm recipe, also in treating coccidiosis.

I'm thinking of growing some, but just how invasive is comfrey?
Stephanie

Back
Top Bottom