Looking for container

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Strikefalcon, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Strikefalcon

Strikefalcon Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    I've been looking for a container to place by our coop to hold supplies. so we (wife) doesn't have to lug everything to and fro the coop.
    It would need to hold 2 40 lb bags of feed 1 of grit and wood chips. so I was looking for 30" h x 18" d x 48" h that opens from the top. Anyone know of Model numbers and manufactures.

Thanks

Loren

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    oops... [​IMG]

3. andbab

andbab Chillin' With My Peeps

I use an old freezer that doesn't run anymore. I got it for free from someone on the classifieds, they even delivered it. The best part is that it is mouse proof.

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    big plastic totes or cooler work well

5. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    This may give you ideas to start with. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/Category.aspx?CatName=Outdoor

I
    did this a few years ago when I had to store a lot of playground balls, hula hoops, etc for a youth group. Some have a hole for a padlock, very handy. Make sure you look at design for places small critters can enter. The one I purchased has doors on the front so you can open the whole thing up. The top that lifts up has two doors so you can open half at a time. It's fine for indoor use, but I could see rodents having a field day with it if I stored feed in it by the coop.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I use a 40 gallon plastic garbage can. Not sure if yours is protected inside a run or not. If not, critters may chew on it so you might want to invest in a metal one.

Mine is inside the garage.

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Home Depot has totes of every color. I bought one for $5 that holds 100 lbs of pellets.

However, someone on this site found an actual feed container with lids that open on 2 sides (as I remember) at one of the Mega Low Mart type stores.

8. Strikefalcon

Strikefalcon Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Went with 3 30 gal steel cans and 1 15 gal steel can.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by