Looking for DNA sexing recommendation

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by warcard, Jun 1, 2010.

1. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Does anyone have contact information for a reliable person/company that does DNA sexing? We just lost a swan to raccoons [​IMG] (32 days on the nest [​IMG] ). I thought we had banded our female, but the one that was sitting on the nest the most and was killed was the unbanded one.

We had sent a gentleman some feathers when they were young and we thought we had a pair, but maybe we had two females? I just figure it will be easier to find an extra male rather than an extra female.

Thanks.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Quote:So sorry, I just lost a male last week when he drank bleach water............. I've used one based out of south Fl, or in Tallahasse before, but it is close to me. I just purchased another male and I'm going to do it soon so I can make sure also.

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
  4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Quote:That's the only company I would go with as well. It's who I've always used over the years for sexing my parrots. You can do either a feather kit or a blood kit (collected from a quicked toenail). DNA is DNA, both are equally reliable. Or if you know of someone near you who can vent sex, that's the other option.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
  6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i've used avian biotech for several of my birds, i did the blood testing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by