Looking for extra run

Pics
To make something to attach to wire mesh I make a sandwich. Cut the hole and put a piece of wood on both sides of the wire, overlapping the cut wire edges so you don't snag clothing or skin on them. Screw them together to form a frame with the opening the size you want. That gives you something secure to attach to and stiffens up the wire, giving you a solid attachment point.

I generally use what scrap wood I have to make this frame. I often rip a 2x4 into 1-1/2" x 1-3/4" sections or look for something like a 1x3.

Hopefully Omlet has details on how to attach that door to wire mesh. If you can't find that, ask them. I don't know how stiff or strong that frame is around it and I only saw four screws. That's not enough to use that frame as one side of the sandwich unless there is something I'm not seeing.
Great idea to make your own frame!! Omlet sells a frame for wire mesh, but this idea is so much better than buying one!! Edited to add: the book has instructions on how to attach to mesh and comes with lots of extra hardware that we didn’t need with our set up.

Last edited:
To make something to attach to wire mesh I make a sandwich. Cut the hole and put a piece of wood on both sides of the wire, overlapping the cut wire edges so you don't snag clothing or skin on them. Screw them together to form a frame with the opening the size you want. That gives you something secure to attach to and stiffens up the wire, giving you a solid attachment point.

I generally use what scrap wood I have to make this frame. I often rip a 2x4 into 1-1/2" x 1-3/4" sections or look for something like a 1x3.

Hopefully Omlet has details on how to attach that door to wire mesh. If you can't find that, ask them. I don't know how stiff or strong that frame is around it and I only saw four screws. That's not enough to use that frame as one side of the sandwich unless there is something I'm not seeing.
Thanks so much for all the ideas and specifics! 😀 I think i’m leaning toward the auto door being on the coop. I’ll probs use your wood idea on the mini run if we add another entrance. Looking at the length of the coop (the egg and big door side) we are thinking we can place the new run partly over the coop and leave the bigger door on the mini run swung open. Have to buy lots of hardware cloth.

Great idea to make your own frame!! Omlet sells a frame for wire mesh, but this idea is so much better than buying one!! Edited to add: the book has instructions on how to attach to mesh and comes with lots of extra hardware that we didn’t need with our set up.
How long have you had your omlet door and is it really, really weather proof?
I saw one for a hundred (maticoopx) which looked ez but often failed in rain, so I wondered if we are only using timer not daylight sensor- if we could just mount it in the inside of the coop,

I forgot to take my measuring tape outside and it’s raining, so I just put my arm up to the door and gaged by the freckles on my arm and measured them when I got back in. It’s about 10” high and about 8” wide. It’s plenty large enough for my ISA Brown and Barred Rock girls (and guy) to get through. Edited to add: I just got out my Omlet book and the measurements listed 8” wide by 12” tall. I guess my freckle method was a little off. 😂
Eggcellent ancient measuring method of the freckle. 😂😂😂

So I guess eglu will fit my RIRs.

How long have you had your omlet door and is it really, really weather proof?
I saw one for a hundred (maticoopx) which looked ez but often failed in rain, so I wondered if we are only using timer not daylight sensor- if we could just mount it in the inside of the coop,
We have had it for at least 3 months and have had no issues with the door itself. The only issue I had was programming the light sensor to open and shut when I needed it to, it was a bit of trial and error to figure out at first. Now that I have it where I want it, it just does its thing. 🙂 I watched a lot of youtube videos and reviews about it before I purchased. Maybe you could find some reviews of all of the doors you are considering and weigh out the pros and cons.

We have had it for at least 3 months and have had no issues with the door itself. The only issue I had was programming the light sensor to open and shut when I needed it to, it was a bit of trial and error to figure out at first. Now that I have it where I want it, it just does its thing. 🙂 I watched a lot of youtube videos and reviews about it before I purchased. Maybe you could find some reviews of all of the doors you are considering and weigh out the pros and cons.
Yes, I’m doing that too.There are just so many fake reviews online, I wanted to know what others on here use. I’m glad your omlet is working so well!

We own one little acre sandwiched between two other houses with bigger properties. The debate is that they may wander too far if free ranging and go down to our neighbors yard who has chickens but they are fenced in a giant fenced in garden. The other neighbors are more hidden but have several large dogs. We have a cat but once they are full grown, I’m not really worried about her. She’s not much of a hunter.
So your property is not fenced and the neighbors with big dogs do not have them fenced? I have acreage and big dogs and neighbors but we all have fences so mine have been free-ranging for the past 20years with zero problems. I have a neighbor who lets his dog run free and it comes up to my fence and hassles my dogs but thanks to my fence it's can't get to the dogs, cats or chickens. It's just my preference but I'd rather put the expense of a run into actual property fencing for greater peace of mind....

So your property is not fenced and the neighbors with big dogs do not have them fenced? I have acreage and big dogs and neighbors but we all have fences so mine have been free-ranging for the past 20years with zero problems. I have a neighbor who lets his dog run free and it comes up to my fence and hassles my dogs but thanks to my fence it's can't get to the dogs, cats or chickens. It's just my preference but I'd rather put the expense of a run into actual property fencing for greater peace of mind....
Yeah, we have an acre and it’s pretty open around here. We’ve never had fencing and none of our neighbors do either. Some have 2-3 acres Big yards. Half suburb looking half farmland. It’s all about the views here.

Back
Top Bottom