Looking for extra run

Pics

CarlaCo

Songster
Aug 29, 2022
Johnson City, NY (Town of Maine, NY)
Hi all. I started a thread and we are receiving loads of help for the many issues with our well-built but stupidly designed supposedly Amish-built coop by HenHouse collection.

I’m starting this thread so it’s all about the run room in the winter. We haven’t decided if we should free range or not. The neighbor has dogs which rarely come over. We do hear hawks lately. We def have foxes and raccoons etc. our run is so tiny we either have to add something or add an automatic door and let the girls out when they are old enough and hope they go back to the coop at night before the door closes.

Also worried about winter, when there is snow etc. If we add a run, it either needs to be somehow easy to remove so we can clear snow and reach the mini run door to clean in there or it needs to be walk-in. Any ideas?

Attachments

• A44DDEAD-E160-406C-AE9D-C55B53F63571.jpeg
    A44DDEAD-E160-406C-AE9D-C55B53F63571.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • AD3739D4-3691-4B2F-ABEE-284C844EE5F2.jpeg
    AD3739D4-3691-4B2F-ABEE-284C844EE5F2.jpeg
    823.3 KB · Views: 4
The mini run is only 4x3 not including under the coop, which area even now is giving us headaches. We put the flock of four week olds out during the day. (It’s temporarily oversized with 2 roosters and 10 girls but shortly my son is taking half when his eglu comes.) When we gather them at the end of the day, many f them run under the coop and my poor son crawl in there on his belly and awkwardly has to catch them one by one. I think we may have to permanently block that section off which will make their mini run even more ridiculously small. But I’m afraid of one being hurt and us not being able to get them.
We are planning on the hardware cloth all around too.

Yeah that run isn't going to cut it, even if you leave the space under the coop accessible (which personally I'd block off... I'm not crawling around in the run). I'd replace it entirely rather than mess with trying to improve it, as it's more narrow than I'd want as well.

I'd aim for a much larger, walk-in run. For 6 chickens at a bare minimum you'd want 60 sq ft. My own opinion is regardless of small flock size, 100 sq ft should be the minimum, as that gives you options to add clutter, enrichment, extra feeders and waterers, etc. as well as easier maneuverability for humans.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you joined and glad to see you are active.

Hi all. I started a thread and we are receiving loads of help for the many issues with our well-built but stupidly designed supposedly Amish-built coop by HenHouse collection.
That's not a coop, that is a tractor. A tractor is meant to be moved regularly, often daily, so they don't need as much room in the run. A tractor has its place for some people but they are not what you would want in New York in the winter. It's not that the design is stupid, you are using it for something it wasn't designed for. Wish you'd been on here before you got it so we could have helped you.

I’m starting this thread so it’s all about the run room in the winter.
So you are looking for run room in the winter in New York for 6 chickens. I don't know the size of that coop section but it looks like it would not be enough.

You have two things that keep chickens out of the run in winter, snow and a cold wind. Chickens can get used to walking in snow but when they wake up to a white world they are not going out there. Some people shovel snow or put stuff on top of it but you are much better off keeping snow out to start with. Snow doesn't just come in from the top, it blows in from the sides.

My chickens go outside even when it is colder than zero Fahrenheit as long as a cold wind is not blowing. A cold wind ruffles their feathers and removes the benefit of their down insulation so they get cold. But if it is calm they can handle it.

Since it is in the way and certainly not suitable, I'd remove that tiny run area and build a new run right outside the pop door with that pop door opening into it. I strongly suggest it be tall enough for you to walk in comfortably. Since most building materials come in 4' and 8' dimensions in their most inexpensive and available forms I'd build an 8' x 8' run. I'd like more room but an 8x8 should be big enough. If you put a roof on it, design it for snow load. It needs to at least slope enough so rainwater runs off instead of puddles. You cluld build a gable roof but a single slope roof is easier to build. I'd go with one side 8' tall and the other side about 6-1/2 feet.

You can cover that with some sort of wire mesh to keep predators out and give them good ventilation/light in summer. In winter cover it with a tarp to keep snow and wind out. It will pick up a lot of wind load so it will need to be built strong.

Back
Top Bottom