Looking for feedback on new coop idea

Sep 27, 2019
Massachusetts
My new coop plan, idea #264 -

Buy a 6x8 resin shed (sorry no pic!). Add 2x4 framing inside so I can add some windows for ventilation, and enlarge the existing gable vents on the shed. Will add roosts, 2 nest boxes, and cutout a pop door.

I will attach this to a 5x24 run made of PT 2x4s, which would all be enclosed by 1/2" hardware cloth and skirted for predator protection. It would have a sloped clear polycarbonate roof (8' tall in the back, 6' tall in the front).

I have 4 hens now, want to expand to 12, but I can settle for 8. I'm in Massachusetts and have snow on the ground still :( . I will wrap the run on 3 sides with clear plastic in the winter as a wind and snow barrier. The roof will have a 12" overhang. Joists and trusses every 16" for stability. Simpson strong tie brackets everywhere. I want to use deck blocks for the run frame rather than pour concrete footings. I plan on using the deep litter method. I would have a truck load of chipped trees (wood chips) delivered and scrounge what I can from the woods behind my house as bedding for the run. I can add grass clippings in the summer and dry leaves in the fall.

This is 48 sq ft in the coop and 120 sq ft in the run. So on paper, enough for 12 hens (definitely enough for the 4 I have now). They will free range in the spring/summer/fall. The coop and run will run along the side of my pool deck, so some wind protection already.

Thoughts?

Also, can a mouse really get through 1/2" hardware cloth?

How does this sound?

Why 5x24? Is it because that's all the space available? Most efficient use of materials would be multiples of 4, so I'd bump it to at least 8x24.

Remember that integration takes space. You have your coop and run set to minimum recommended. I'd really recommend going bigger if you have the room for it.

And yes a mouse can fit into 1/2" but also possibly will get stuck halfway trying to wedge through. I don't have concerns about mice and find 1/4" to be very difficult to work with due to small openings plus standard 1/4" is a thinner wire, so for those reasons I went with 1/2".

Why 5x24? Is it because that's all the space available? Most efficient use of materials would be multiples of 4, so I'd bump it to at least 8x24.
I am trying to make the run as narrow as possible due to my weird space layout in my back yard. Also I'm less worried about a heavy snowload on a narrow roof. Also, the clear roofing I want to use comes in 6' lengths, so a 5' wide run leaves almost a 1' overhang.

Remember that integration takes space. You have your coop and run set to minimum recommended. I'd really recommend going bigger if you have the room for it.
I think this is about as big of a run as I can manage and not "ruin" the look of my back yard. I do have an option to expand the run in the future (make a second run off the back side of the coop) but this is about as big as I want to start with.

Back
Top Bottom