looking for ginger cookie recipe

jojo54

Songster
Aug 24, 2009
BC Canada
My DH's grandma made the best ginger cookies. I used to have her recipe but some how in the last couple of moves have lost it. My MILs recipe is different as hers are called Molasses cookies and are puffy. I have tried several ginger cookie recipes but none compare. Maybe someone can help. The cookies I've tried have baked up puffy with a cake-like texture. Grandma's cookies were chewy in the middle and if you cooked them longer, they turn crisp like ginger snaps from the store (the kind that are great for dunking.) You rolled them in balls and rooled them in sugar. If any one has a recipe that they think would be like the chewy/crisp ginger cookies, I would love it. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

I don't have recipe, but I'm going to keep checking this thread b/c I'd like one, too. My son was just saying he wanted to make gingerbread men! I think they've been reading the story in his kindergarten class.

my step-mom and I make a triple ginger snap cookie every Christmas. She has the recipe, but I'll try to get it. They are DELISH.
droolin.gif

This is one of my favs from The Christmas Cookie cookbook. Just be sure to flatten them a little before baking, or they stay pretty puffy.

3/4 c shortening
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/4 c molasses
2 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp each ground ginger, ground cinnamon
additional sugar

Cream butter in large mixing bowl. Gradually add 1 c sugar and beat until light & fluffy. Add egg & molasses and beat well.

Sift together flour, soda & spices. Add to creamed mixture, mixing well.

Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in extra sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and remove to wire rack.

Makes about 7 doz.

Enjoy!

My graddaughter needed to bake gingerbread cookies for one of her classes, so after researching many receipes we settled on the one thats on the lable of the Grandma Molasses the taste was excellent. The cookies were puffyand chewy, she had lots of students and teachers tell her the cookies were the best ones they had tasted. Since she took all of them except for the one tested for taste, I decided to bake some for us only thing is since I had been baking alday ,I forgot to change the timmer to a shorter time than I had been baking and ended up with a crispy cookies. Of course I not sure if this is the one you are seeking but everyone that tasted her cookies told here they were best. But what is the best?? Hope this is recipe is the one you are looking for.

Just a hint; if cookies are too puffy, you can cut back the baking powder (or soda) a little bit. That should keep them from puffing so much.

Here's kind of a weird recipe:
Crisp Molasses Cookies

1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 t. cloves
1 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
2 Tablespoons white vinegar

Melt shortening, sugar, molasses together over low heat; cool. Sift together dry ingredients and add to cooled molasses mixture. Stir in vinegar. Drop on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 about 8 minutes. 3 dozen

Ginger Cookies #1-
3/4 cup shortening
4 Tablespoons molasses
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups flour

DirectionsCream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Add soda, ginger, cinnamon, and flour and mix well. Roll in balls the size of walnuts. Dip in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and press down with fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

Ginger Cookies #2-
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg, beaten
2 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1tsp. ginger

Directions1.Cream shortening and sugar; add molasses and egg. Mix dry ingredients together and add. Mix well.2. Form into walnut sized balls and roll in sugar. Bake on greased cookie sheet in 350 fahrenheight (180 celcius) oven for about 15 minutes or until done. You can add raisins to these for an intresting change.

Gingerbread Man #1-
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 eggs, beaten
5 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon soda

DirectionsMix sugar, butter, spices and molasses. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Add vinegar and eggs. Mix well. Add sifted flour and soda blending to a smooth dough. Chill. Roll out on floured board and cut with a 4 or 6 inch cookie cutter. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Gingerbread Man #2-
125 grams unsalted butter
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
1/4 cup golden syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon of currants
Icing:
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/4 cups icing sugar
assorted food coloring

DirectionsPreheat oven to moderate 180c degrees. Line 2 or 3 oven trays with baking paper. Using electric beaters, beat butter, sugar, and syrup in a small mixing bowl until light and creamy. Add egg gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. Transfer mixture into large bowl, sift dry ingredients onto well floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Line a large chopping board with baking paper, roll out dough on board to 5mm thickness (flour rolling pin if necessary to prevent sticking), refrigerate on board for 15 minutes so dough is firm to cut. Cut dough into shapes with a 13cm gingerbread man cutter. Press remaining dough together and reroll. Cut out shapes. Place biscuits on prepared trays. Place currants as eyes and nose on men. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool biscuits on trays. Icing: Place egg whites in small dry mixing bowl, using electric beaters beat egg whites until foamy. Add lemon juice and icing sugar gradually. Beat until thick and creamy. Divide icing into several bowls. Tint mixtures with desired food colors. Spoon mixture into small paper icing bags. Seal open ends. Snip tips off piping bags. Pipe faces and clothing onto gingerbread men. When icing is completely dry, store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 days.

Ginger Crinkles-
1 cup (250 ml) butter or hard margarine softened at room temperature
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons (30 ml) dark corn syrup
1/2 cup (125 ml) mild molasses
3 cups (750) ml) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt
1/4 cup (50 ml) granulated sugar for coating

DirectionsTurn the oven on to 375 degrees fahrenheit (190 degrees celsius). Put the first 5 ingredients into a bowl. Beat on low speed until smooth. Scrape the batter off beaters into the bowl using a rubber spatula. Add the next 6 ingredients, stir with a spoon until moistened. Roll into 1 1/2 inch (3.5 cm) balls. Put the remaning sugar into a small bowl. Roll the balls 1 at a time in the sugar to coat them. Arrange the balls on the ungreased cookie sheets 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake on the center rack in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes. Use oven mitts to remove the cookie sheet to a wire rack. Let stand for about 2 minutes before removing the cookies to waxed paper lined on the counter. Cool competely. Store in a container with a lid.

Resipies found at-
http://www.northpole.com/ http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/cat0001.asp

Chris

Here is a recipe for Triple Ginger Snaps. My step-mom and I have been working on this for years. We started with a recipe from her 80+ year old mother's kitchen library, and added candied/ crystallized ginger, and diced fresh ginger root, as well as the usual ground ginger. They really are snaps.

3/4 C. butter
1 C. sugar
1/4 C. molasses
1 egg
2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 C. crystallized or candied ginger, finely diced
1/2 C. fresh ginger root, peeled and finely diced
3 TBSP. sugar for dipping

Cream butter and sugar. Add molasses, mix well. Add egg, mix well. Combine dry ingredients. Add to cream mixture. Mix well. Add candied and fresh ginger. Mix well. Make walnut-sized balls or smaller. Roll in sugar. Place on greased cookie sheet 2-3" apart. Bake at 375F for 12-20 minutes, or until evenly brown. Makes 4 dozen.

Don't crowd them. They completely flatten out. If you want to make bigger snaps, just put less of them on the pan. We also used double insulated pans, and sprayed them with cooking spray instead of greasing the pans. There is a large range of baking time because if you choose to make small snaps, they take less time. Big snaps won't crisp up without the additional time. The original old recipe called for 20 minutes, but that isn't necessary for the small snaps. The best indicator for doneness is color. They should be evenly brown, not lighter in the center. WATCH them.

These are delicious. We have experimented with candied v. crystallized ginger. Either worked well. We have grated and diced the fresh ginger, and found that grating is messy, what with all the fibers. Dicing finely is hard work, but ultimately worked better.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom