looking for hatching eggs.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kbella, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kbella

kbella New Egg

Nov 13, 2015
    Hello everyone, I am an arraviste to this site. My name is Kbella.I am interested in hatching peeps, preferably Rhode Island Reds (my cousin in Tennessee says they are wonderful in temperament and for egg laying and very beautiful).
    My goal is to have about 10 females in my backyard, for friendship and eggs. Cocks are prohibited here in Rockville, Md., a suburban city of Wash., DC.
    We are allowed 1 female chicken for every 1,000 square feet. I have 19,000 square feet. If anyone can sell me some eggs for hatching, please contact me. I d like to begin planning for the spring. Thanks![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you aren't allowed roosters, then you may want to consider getting started pullets (over 12 weeks old) from a breeder. Eggs can't be sexed prior to hatching. If you hatch eggs, there will be cockerels to deal with. Most breeders don't vent sex chicks, so again, there will be cockerels to rehome.
    You can order vent sexed Rhode Island Reds from just about any hatchery in the country, but they rarely are the proper shade of deep red, and they aren't bred with temperament in mind.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I agree that if you don't want to run the risk of having a lot of boys you could get pullets so you would be sure then. But if your set on incubating hatching do you have a plan for the unwanted boys? This is always something to consider before hatching. You could drop by your state thread, maybe members in your area could point you in the right direction. State threads can be found here ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    There is also the buy sell trade section ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Kbella [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Good luck finding some hatching egg's [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Kbella. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your hatching eggs.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

9. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Good luck finding hatching eggs!

LeafBlade

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Kbella, [​IMG]

You've already received some good advice, so I'll just say thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by