1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for hedgehog advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by taprock, Nov 17, 2013.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

We are considering a hedgehog for my son and would like to hear from some owners on the good and bad before we make any decisions.

2. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    They eat cat food and therefore their poop is just as stinky. :)

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Well I know this is a really late review, but if you're still looking for info - I'm a breeder - and you should read over my page on hedgehog care.

However, if your son is young, I highly suggest you do not purchase a hedgehog as a pet. Hogs can be very intimidating to younger kids and must be CONSTANTLY socialized to maintain their winning personality (assuming they have one to begin with). Their initial huffing/puffing/jumping usually scares them, and they can end up dropping them or worse being bitten because they do not remember/follow proper handling procedures. This discourages most children/pre-teens/teens. Also they do require some specialized care and monitoring. I would just be sure that he's capable of understanding how important socialization is and really is willing to make a large commitment to the animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by