Looking for help on what to do

Beccahanny

Hatching
Nov 23, 2020
I have 2 rescued flocks that I quarantined separately for 2 weeks then introduced into my new coop. I have now lost 3 with now one chick I’ll. and they all share a couple of similarities. The three that passed were older so I assumed it was just old age. But now one of the chicks is sick. They just seem to get lethargic, seem to almost sound like they are gurgling water, ruffled feathers, and generally weak. I’ve checked their throats with no blockage. Been giving vit water for about a week now and it drinks a lot and is still eating. They do have a run in a very forested area so lots of foliage they can get into. Any thoughts would be good. I’ve had their poop tested with no parasites showing. I wanted to attach a video but can’t seem to do it?

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Sounds like some kind of respiratory illness. You can try isolating any birds that get sick to slow the spread. Keep the isolated ones somewhere warm with food and water.

I'd clean the housing, feeders, and waterers of the main flock thoroughly to make sure that it's not something there and/or to prevent the spread of infection.

In the future, it's a good idea to keep birds isolated for at least a month before introducing to each other, just in case. I hope everything works out for you and your birds!

To post a video, you'll need to upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo and copy/paste the link here.

Could you also post pictures of their poop? You also don't mention how old these birds are, just that they're in the "chick-stage"? Have you noticed any sneezing or ocular discharge? Have you checked inside the chicks mouth for any lesions?

The gurgling noises and lethargy you're seeing could be related to respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, or Infectious bronchitis (IB), both of which can cause mucous in the trachea. Respiratory diseases often cause greater mortality in younger birds and are more prevalent in flocks where there has been a recent integration of birds.

A bacterial infection like Psedumonas, or a fungal infection like Aspergillous may cause similar problems as well. Crops that aren't empty well (Crop Statsis), can cause gurgling noises, which is often secondary to something else in particular such as coccidiosis. Providing more information may help narrow down what might be the problem.

To post a video, you'll need to upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo and copy/paste the link here.

Could you also post pictures of their poop? You also don't mention how old these birds are, just that they're in the "chick-stage"? Have you noticed any sneezing or ocular discharge? Have you checked inside the chicks mouth for any lesions?

The gurgling noises and lethargy you're seeing could be related to respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, or Infectious bronchitis (IB), both of which can cause mucous in the trachea. Respiratory diseases often cause greater mortality in younger birds and are more prevalent in flocks where there has been a recent integration of birds.

A bacterial infection like Psedumonas, or a fungal infection like Aspergillous may cause similar problems as well. Crops that aren't empty well (Crop Statsis), can cause gurgling noises, which is often secondary to something else in particular such as coccidiosis. Providing more information may help narrow down what might be the problem.
Hello thank you so much for responding. I’m having difficulties posting the video I am not very computer savvy.
It’s out of the chick stage I believe 3 months old with all its adult feathers. Poop is very runny. I actually took it to the vet yesterday and his suggestion was to sacrifice it and send it in for pathology. He says he can rule out any respiratory illness and any exterior bug/parasite. It’s very apparent that the bird is starving and weak though it is eating and drinking enough so he believes something internally is “starving” it. Wether gastral or parasitic or virus.
I couldn’t sacrifice it there it is not in my nature. I have it isolated in the coop so it can hear it’s family. The plan if it doesn’t not survive is to send it for pathology as soon as it does.
Any suggestions to help put on weight for it?I am feeding it scrambled Eggs on top of its feed. Or comfort it? The vet seemed more concerned about costs so didn’t really want to try antibiotics as it was a “guessing game” (which is his opinion that’s fine, I just feel differently).

Back
Top Bottom